I thought the Victorian age was long gone

See below is this a sad indictment of today's society?

Thefts from shops in a South Yorkshire town have increased by 50% compared with the same period a year ago, police say.

The number of food items being stolen from shops in Rotherham accounts for a portion of the crimes.

Items including meat, cheese, coffee and toiletries are among the goods being targeted.

Officers said a number of people caught stealing said they could not afford to buy the food.

Ch Supt Jason Harwin said Rotherham had seen 150 extra recorded incidents of shoplifting between April and June this year compared with same period in 2011.

Unemployed people cannot get allotments. Food inflation is greater than benefits, and some are no longer entitled to benefits. If people cannot grow their own food, or receive dole they MUST steal food.

They could be jailed and end up getting 3 meals a day.

Stealing food makes sense!

Unemployed people cannot get allotments. Food inflation is greater than benefits, and some are no longer entitled to benefits. If people cannot grow their own food, or receive dole they MUST steal food.

They could be jailed and end up getting 3 meals a day.

Stealing food makes sense!

But people do receive dole. Coffee isn't an essential (well it is for me). It gets nicked and sold on, often for drugs. The shop I worked at stopped stocking large jars of gold blend.

Any way, do those on benefits get land AND benefits ?

EDIT : lynx was a popular druggie commodity as well.

I wonder, seriusly, I'm not having a go at anyone here, it is a genuine, up in the air thought, how many of those who say they can't afford food still manage to buy cigarettes or other 'non essential' items.

I know someone (not a friend, but I know her quite well) who hardly ever feeds her kids three square meals a day (sometimes all they get is a packet of crisps) because she claims she can't afford it yet goes through at least 60 fags a day, which she manages to have the money for.

I wonder, seriusly, I'm not having a go at anyone here, it is a genuine, up in the air thought, how many of those who say they can't afford food still manage to buy cigarettes or other 'non essential' items.

I know someone (not a friend, but I know her quite well) who hardly ever feeds her kids three square meals a day (sometimes all they get is a packet of crisps) because she claims she can't afford it yet goes through at least 60 fags a day, which she manages to have the money for.

I have had neighbours like that, but still managed to smoke and be drunk before dinner time. We used to watch them walk upto the shop and come back down with crates of beer, then if they managed to catch me as i went out to the bin they would always complain about being skint :|

Archived