Superfluous adjectives are creeping in..

I think the Olympic commentators [ professional and otherwise ] on T.V. need a WIDER range of adjectives-----after about a million ' fantastic ', ' exciting ' [s ], 'awesome[s]',

' wonderful ', I 've got a severe adjectival headache.

How about a few of these :- ' Boring, mundane, money-wasting, over-hyped '. ?

Also, do adjectives at sporting events HAVE to be screeched ??

...such as these:

hammer blow- just 'blow'

due dliligence- just 'diligence' (or 'check')

the weeks and months ahead- just 'the future'.

Your turn next.

You dont appear to understand adjectives,as hammer is either a noun or a verb,but never an adjective.I think you mean superfluous words.

You dont appear to understand adjectives,as hammer is either a noun or a verb,but never an adjective.I think you mean superfluous words.

Er, in 'hammer blow', the word 'hammer' is explaining what sort of blow it is.

Is a 'hammer blow' a hammer? No.

Is a 'hammer blow' a blow? Yes.

So 'hammer' acts as an adjective in that context.

Yes, one could instead say 'a blow with a hammer'; there, each of the two is a noun.

Geddit?

The WHOLE truth.......

Just the truth would suffice.

If you are obliged to tell the truth, but not the whole truth, you can quite easily mislead people into believing the exact opposite of the truth - without ever telling a single lie.

Magicians know this and use it to their advantage, persuading audiences that there's no way they could possible ever have seen or made contact with the object that VIP Bigwig Guest is holding - without telling the audience that they actually have already seen it, and by asking numerous questions to which VIP Bigwig Guest will answer in absolute truth. It's the questions they do not ask that would reveal the rest of the story.

I do not think you have studied a second language as your interpretation is rather loose.I would rather you backed a plea to eliminate the use of cliche,which by the end of the day could be of greater benefit

I fight them tooth and nail [etc.]

But, back on topic, try these too (all from the BBC News website today) whether it's adjectival or otherwise:

free rein- just 'freedom'

finger pointing- just 'pointing'

fairly notorious- one either is or isn't!

...such as these:

hammer blow- just 'blow'

due dliligence- just 'diligence' (or 'check')

the weeks and months ahead- just 'the future'.

Your turn next.

I think superfluous letters are creeping in too!

'Due dliligence' spotted due to diligence! :)

Archived