Upperthorpe Anygood?

Hi, I live on the Walkley / Upperthorpe boundary.

As with so many areas of Sheffield, you cannot really generalise on the area, as there are marked differences on a street by street basis. Feel free to PM with the name of the street and I will offer any thoughts.

If you choose the right bit of Upperthorpe, I think you can get a real bargain - you get great amenities, good transport links, green space, without the concentration of transient (and unpredictable) students etc that you get higher up in Walkley. Some areas of Upperthorpe have the usual problems associated with concentrations of low value / rented social housing and relatively high levels of deprivation.

I've lived in the middle of Upperthorpe for the last three years and am a single female student and have always felt safe and never had any trouble with anyone. I think it's a perfectly pleasant place to live with a good sense of community. The Healthy Living centre/library's brilliant, there's a good doctor's, a supermarket and the transport links are excellent - and walking up the insanely long hill is very good exercise. Apparently car crime's quite high here and there are a lot of drug dealers about but I've never bumped into them. There can be a lot of bored kids hanging around but I think they're mainly harmless. Now, having tempted fate so much, I will probably be murdered in my bed.

• 8 years later...

I live here in middle of Oxford street main road throu upperthorpe .being here 15 years .its a great place to live 10 min to town, 24 hour shop , 10 min to m1, great open green spaces, best school catchment areas eg tapton and king Edward schools,

I wouldent swop it for anywhere else in Sheffield,or any other city come to think of it.

If you not sure i recomened you try visiting at all times of day night.

Yes you do get groups of kids playing you do everywhere

Yes you do get the odd smell of weed. You do everywhere

Yes there are a few crimes it's on the edge of city

The only thing I don't like is walking up the hill and the potholes in the road

If you want more info mess me