Jobcentre suicide attempts.

If it's affordable and other people won't build it, why don't the people who want such a home build one themselves?

An individual is unlikely to be able to obtain a loan for any more than the land value.

The building cost will have to be met out of their own pocket.

This is where Housing Associations come into their own.

Sadly, many have become self serving and their "administrative" costs can outweigh the true benefits to their "members".

There is also a high risk of poor cost control when an inexperienced individual has to pay architects, supervisors and builders to get a good result.

'Affordable' will rarely mean "detached"? So some level of cooperative venture is always going to be needed.

Jobcentres are just places to sign on. I never got a job through a jobcentre ever.

Can you still sign on in them these days, last mate I had that went to one after losing his job was given a telephone number to wring.

I've asked this before (but nobody seems to know the answer, or it's some sort of secret) : "How much does an affordable home cost to build?"

If it's affordable and other people won't build it, why don't the people who want such a home build one themselves?

Like MrSmith said, and Chemist always says, the issue is land. Constructing a house doesn't actually cost very much, in fact surprisingly little. Building and fitting out (to a good standard) a reasonable size family home (about 1200 sq ft) should cost about £75/sq ft.

So you are looking at around < £100,000 for a good build. If we could all pick up good plots of land for say £10,000 we'd all be building our own. But the reality is that land is restricted and even poor plots with planning go for well over £50k, the best ones can be well north of £250k.

Average salaries are under £30k. Do the maths.

Like MrSmith said, and Chemist always says, the issue is land. Constructing a house doesn't actually cost very much, in fact surprisingly little. Building and fitting out (to a good standard) a reasonable size family home (about 1200 sq ft) should cost about £75/sq ft.

So you are looking at around < £100,000 for a good build. If we could all pick up good plots of land for say £10,000 we'd all be building our own. But the reality is that land is restricted and even poor plots with planning go for well over £50k, the best ones can be well north of £250k.

Average salaries are under £30k. Do the maths.

That’s a posh house :D I reckon that could drop to £50K easy assuming you can do most of the work yourself.

Didn’t the last government challenge builders to come up with an affordable house, I think the build cost they ended up at was £60k.

I don’t think any got built though.

That’s a posh house :D I reckon that could drop to £50K easy assuming you can do most of the work yourself.

Yes, most likely lots of people could bring the price down significantly by doing this. My father-in-law did his for about £30k 15 years ago. He did a lot of the basics like groundwork and blockwork himself. Took him ages but cost him very little really. The land cost more than the house.

But if you could do it for £50k on land that cost £10k then imagine how that would transform housing in this country. As it is if you want a decent plot in a decent area then add £200k to your £50k build cost.

So what effect would increasing minimum wage (increasing the employers' costs and reducing the ability to compete) have on unemployment?

The minimum wage is irrelevant when effective MDRs/EMTRs exceed 100%.

50p per hour is good money (if cash in hand and spent in the black market)

It is also 1/3 Chinese minimum wage (for Beijing).

Minimum wage is an irrelevant concept when MDRs exceed 100%. And benefits in particular housing benefit render the minimum wage insignificant wrt income.

Hence tax credits. Something even worse than minimum wage for hindering productive employment!

You'll probably hire one Latvian on 80p per cabbage 'piecework rates' who will pick 100 cabbages on his own in the same time that your British workforce would have taken.

The 100 workers who would've cost you £10 each will sit at home on benefits and complain that the Latvian immigrant took the job that they weren't prepared to do anyway.

You've paid £800 to get your cabbages picked (and saved £200) which will mean that when your cabbages are offered for sale alongside the cabbages grown elsewhere, the customers will buy your product because the price will be competitive.

Ironically a very good Latvian friend of mine left Sheffield, UK to work on an EU contract in Latvia rebuilding prisons (making them cushty). He is now locked up in one, but he has TV and playstation. Before Sheffield he worked in Guernsey and the pay there was really good. But immigrants were only welcome temporarily whilst the residents wanted building work doing.

I've asked this before (but nobody seems to know the answer, or it's some sort of secret) : "How much does an affordable home cost to build?"

Do not consider £$€, consider only labour hours.

Access to land and resources via currency.

Land monopoly.

Currency monopoly.

Resource monopoly (bit of both land and currency monopoly).

The holy lands will be taken by force, blood shall be spilled in Jerusalem.

Does not natural law give man the right to house and feed himself, his family and his community. And if anybody stands in his way, he shall slay them, there will be a GLORIOUS revolution.

The landowners have little time left, they must give away their idle land if they are to keep any. A great change is coming.

Can you still sign on in them these days, last mate I had that went to one after losing his job was given a telephone number to wring.

0800 055 66 88.

They fill the form, you attend the jobshop to sign it, and submit housing and council tax benefit claim accordingly. You might even be able to do a rapid reclaim!

There are very few phone boxes left. So you might aswell attend and use their phones. I believe they still keep the JS1 forms next to the JS2 and JS3 forms (next to the meeter/greeter/director). But you will NEVER be given a JS1 form, they will print it and fill it out for you over the phone.

Archived