Collecting train ticket at station

Im off to liverpool tomorrow its years since ive traveled on a train i booked my tickets last weekend and rather than risk not getting them in the post i opted to collect them from the machine at the station. Ive never done this before. Is this a slow process? how much extra time do i need to allow? im on the 6.20am train so i dont want risk missing the train for the sake of arriving 10mins early.

It's easy. Take the card you bought them on and the unique invoice number (or whatever it's called). I once went with my card alone and couldn't get them, but luckily I wasn't travelling that day.

Takes about 5 minutes, but factor in how long you'll wait in a queue. How long is a piece of string?

It's been a year since I was there, but unless they've managed to work out that 3 or 4 ticket machines isn't enough for a city the size of Sheffield, get there VERY early. I missed a couple of important journeys by only allowing 20 minutes to pick up my tickets. The facility was so inadequate last time I went, they'd had to erect queuing barriers to keep the line in check.

It may have changed since last year though.

It's been a year since I was there, but unless they've managed to work out that 3 or 4 ticket machines isn't enough for a city the size of Sheffield, get there VERY early. I missed a couple of important journeys by only allowing 20 minutes to pick up my tickets. The facility was so inadequate last time I went, they'd had to erect queuing barriers to keep the line in check.

It may have changed since last year though.

It has - travel regularly and situation much better .There are now more ticket machines to collect from - a row of new ones near the glass windows plus the 2 machines near ticket booths- think there may be 8? in total now.

Click collect pre paid tickets

Enter reference number (Make sure you printed it or wrote it down correctly - special attention to Letter Os and 0s)

It will ask you for the debit/credit card you used to buy the tickets with (You will not be charged again)

The machine checks the info and prints the tickets.

There's also a machine at the far end of the bridge, just before you access the Tram line. In all the dozens of times I've passed it, I've never seen anybody using it.....

Cheers thats useful to know, gonna try and pop tonight tho.

Bit of advice when collecting ticket from the self service machine. If entering the station from the main entrance on Sheaf St and there is a queue for the machines located under the big departures board, head to the self service machines located in the corner next to the ticket desks. Many many times when I've picked up tickets, the machines under the main departure board have had a long queue but nobody useing the machines in the corner.

Archived