Controversy surrounding Britain's cycling gold medal.

Was the crash an acceptable tactic or not  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Was the crash an acceptable tactic or not

• Yes it is in the rules.
    • No. They should be disqualified.

After Britain won a cycling gold medal in the velodrome one of the team cyclists claimed to have deliberately crashed in an earlier round to cause a restart.

Is this acceptable behavious in an Olympic Games?

Cheating or not?

After Britain won a cycling gold medal in the velodrome one of the team cyclists claimed to have deliberately crashed in an earlier round to cause a restart.

Cheating or not?

Bouts not acceptable behaviour but did it really happen?

Bouts not acceptable behaviour but did it really happen?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2182959/London-2012-Olympics-Chris-Hoys-gold-loses-gloss-crash-controversy.html

Sir Chris Hoy was privately angry after claiming his fifth career gold medal when his teammate Philip Hindes admitted crashing deliberately in the qualification round of the men's team sprint.

It's a disputed point, but I'll agree - it does sound iffy.

The 19-year-old German-born rider, who has a British father and joined British Cycling's academy in October 2010, told reporters afterwards: "We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart. I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned, really."

However British Cycling suggested the comments were "lost in translation", with the teenager still learning English [...]

Hindes clarified his comments, denying it was a deliberate move when asked directly about his earlier comments.

"No. I just went out the gate and just lost control, just fell down," he said. "My back wheel slipped and totally lost control and then I couldn't handle the bike any more and just crashed."

It's a disputed point, but I'll agree - it does sound iffy.

The 19-year-old German-born rider, who has a British father and joined British Cycling's academy in October 2010, told reporters afterwards: "We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart. I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned, really."

However British Cycling suggested the comments were "lost in translation", with the teenager still learning English [...]

Hindes clarified his comments, denying it was a deliberate move when asked directly about his earlier comments.

"No. I just went out the gate and just lost control, just fell down," he said. "My back wheel slipped and totally lost control and then I couldn't handle the bike any more and just crashed."

My own take on it is this:..

Once the event has moved on to another round it becomes another contest.

It is pretty difficult to turn round afterwards and say the team didn't break a world record and beat the French in the final. It is whether they should have been eliminated BEFORE the final that I would question.

Cheating or not?

I saw the TV interview where he basically said he'd thrown the crash to get a restart to have a another go. It sounded as dodgy as anything then and it doesnt sound any better now. If that's what he really did then it's no better than the gamesmanship that the Chinese and Indonesians were up to in the badminton. However - isn't the guy German originally? It sounded like he was fishing for the words so he might not have actually meant what he said.

If Hindes did deliberately crash to obtain a re-start, then surely he was just 'working the system'? - The Olympic equivalent of 'tax avoidance'.

It appears he's hardly alone. - 8 female Badminton players were disqualified for trying to lose (and thus 'rig' who they faced in subsequent stages.)

If 'working the system' is wrong, is it more (or less) wrong than somebody staying on benefits rather than going to work, because benefits pay more?

The Mail quoted Hines as saing: "'We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart. I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned."

What did amuse me was the pathetically weak assertion by British Cycling that "...Hindes' comments were 'lost in translation' from a man who began learning English only after moving to Manchester to train at the velodrome."

Hindes is British by birth. He grew up in Germany in a Garrison town (Krefeld) where a significant number of the inhabitants were British, went to school in a system where all children learn English from a very early age, after school moved to Kaiserslautern (a US Garrison town, a town where 'spot the German' is a local sport) to continue cycle training, but - according to British Cycling - 'only started learning English when he went to Manchester.'

Yeah, right! :hihi:

Archived