Sheffield's Jess Ennis wins Olympic Gold!

I just tweeted Paul Scriven to ask why he wanted Tudor Square re-named and not a Sporting landmark, he replied:

I suppose he's got a point. Personally I'd still go for Don Valley.

He has got a point. Don Valley does not attract world athletes. They struggle to get them to Birmingham, let alone Sheffield.

I remember as a kid going to Don Valley to watch what was billed as 'top class athletics' and the quality was not there. The stadium is now a training centre (and a football stadium for a League Two club) - and in my opinion has failed to bring to Sheffield what it promised.

My view - re-develop it as a training facility, remove most of the seating. Still call it Don Valley, certainly not after Ennis.

They could always rename the EIS (having ICE Sheffield and EIS Sheffield together is confusing anyway) - obviously it would still be the EIS there, but it could be called the Jessica Ennis building in the same way the universities have named buildings, but they're still part of the universities.

And a belated well done Jess! Was watching it at Don Valley and then also saw Rutherford and Farah's medals there - great atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
He has got a point. Don Valley does not attract world athletes. They struggle to get them to Birmingham, let alone Sheffield.

I remember as a kid going to Don Valley to watch what was billed as 'top class athletics' and the quality was not there. The stadium is now a training centre (and a football stadium for a League Two club) - and in my opinion has failed to bring to Sheffield what it promised.

My view - re-develop it as a training facility, remove most of the seating. Still call it Don Valley, certainly not after Ennis.

Rotherham have now got their own ground :), in all honesty I normally associate DV with computer fairs once a month :)

Archived