Is kickboxing a martial art ?

Surely it depends on how you define a martial art. If you define it as self defence then the answer has to be yes. If you are able to stove an attacker's head in using an 'effective way of fighting' you have successfully defended yourself. Then again, there is the NO NO NO option.

If you consider Boxing a martial art, then yes it is.

If Boxing is not a martial art, then neither is kickboxing.

Personally I'm of the opinion that the term "martial art" is more than just training to fight.

• 1 month later...

In my humble opinion when it comes to martial arts/self defense, its something along these lines.

If you throw a stone at a dog, the dog will attack the stone. If you throw a stone at a wolf, the wolf will attack the person who threw the stone.

If you throw a brick at a domestic cat, the cat will start biting the brick. If you throw a brick at a lion, the lion will bite the person who threw the brick.

Can you domesticate a fight? I don't think you can

You could argue if the sole purpose of your chosen discipline is to compete; your discipline is a sport which may or may not be named after a martial art.

There is nothing wrong in being a sport; it does not make the techniques any less effective.

(Many martial arts use weapons)

Archived