Shafilea Ahmed's parents are found guilty of her murder

Quietly condoning isn't the same as replicating. The problem from a condoning perspective is probably true. As long as you quietly condone (turn a blind eye) incidents like this will be repeated.

Glad to see this vile excuse for a mother put away..equally glad to see a pathetic excuse for a father also receive the same. The murder was committed in front of their four children it seems..they must have been absolutely racked with fear.

I don't know how much the judges hands were tied on the sentencing but IMO they got off lightly.

Seconded. What kind of vile people not only commit such a heinous crime on their own child but to do so in front of their other ones? It beggars belief.

The parents have such strange, twisted view of what constitutes honour and shame, and in all probablility they are not alone in their thinking.

It would be interesting to hear the differing views of the wider muslim community who live in this country - particularly from those who although living in a western liberal country, still have very traditional ideas.

I feel for the poor young lady who was killed,she had all her life in front of her then the despicable parents took that away,I hope they rot in hell.

And on another note if you come to live in the west then dont be surprised if your siblings enjoy the freedoms that it brings and choose to live how they want,certain communities need to integrate or leave.

The parents have such strange, twisted view of what constitutes honour and shame, and in all probablility they are not alone in their thinking.

It would be interesting to hear the differing views of the wider muslim community who live in this country - particularly from those who although living in a western liberal country, still have very traditional ideas.

It is an interesting subject but if your moral values are born from a belief that your "honour" precedes anything including the well being of your children, and that belief is condoned and supported by the community you live within, then this incident should come as no surprise. What we need is the younger generation to rebel from indoctrination..not an easy one when it begins from birth.

Not only should we encourage youngsters to rebel, but give them a sense of security and support while doing so. I guess it's difficult when you feel you have no one to run to (because part of that indoctrination is a suspicion of anything outside your clan)..especially when you're in total fear.

Not only should we encourage youngsters to rebel, but give them a sense of security and support while doing so. I guess it's difficult when you feel you have no one to run to (because part of that indoctrination is a suspicion of anything outside your clan)..especially when you're in total fear.

Not easy to rebel when your parents will murder for doing so.

The mentality of the parents is utterly horrible and utterly incomprehensible and completely evil.

It is an interesting subject but if your moral values are born from a belief that your "honour" precedes anything including the well being of your children, and that belief is condoned and supported by the community you live within, then this incident should come as no surprise. What we need is the younger generation to rebel from indoctrination..not an easy one when it begins from birth.

It's also very difficult to make a decision that may lead to being disowned by a unit and community that has been your lifelong anchor. It's horrible and takes one hell of a lot of courage to break away. I grew up in quite a strict household (South American Catholic mother) and like most teens rebelled and all hell broke loose. A lot of these 1st and 2nd generations lead double lives and often into adulthood too. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for them. Equally, I could never imagine disowning my children, it would be like cutting off a limb.:(

With a recommendation of 25yrs. Can you explain what that means?

The sentence is life - because that's the only sentence permissible under law.

The 25 years minimum is a recommendation. - A recommendation which will carry a great deal of weight!

It means that they (almost certainly) won't even be considered for release on parole until they have served 25 years.

Once the 25 years is up, they could apply for parole ... but that doesn't mean they will get it. The parole board will be aware that their crime was so heinous that the judge recommended a very long period of incarceration. No doubt they will consider that.

Not easy to rebel when your parents will murder for doing so.

The mentality of the parents is utterly horrible and utterly incomprehensible and completely evil.

I understand that but the problem is the child becomes the parent and the parent becomes the tyrant and on it goes. We in the West are not immune from murdering our own children..regardless of reason, that's not an excuse..simply an opposing issue.

Many people within their community must have known that the child was murdered..what's the use of honour killing if you're not seen to be upholding that belief to the point of denying it. Denying it is evident that your belief isn't that ingrained and admits that your child died for nothing...otherwise you'd be screaming from the rooftops of the sacrifice you made in the name of honour.

What we have here is a simple value of life, or the lack of it..a value that you I or them are at each end of the spectrum..."honour" is just bull-excrement for "I can't control you so I'll kill you".

Archived