Why Do Certain People Have Such A Hatred Towards The Police

I have always been brought up to respect others, your elders and especially the Police. Why is it other people are bringing their children up not to respect the Police??, when I was growing up I was scared of the Police I know if I brought them to my parents door I would have got a clip round the earhole from my mother. Not in front of the Policeman as smacking your children is unacceptable hmmm, hmmm that is for another topic thread another time lol.

You see people now who have no regard for the Police and just flaunt the law, they don`t care and have this hatred towards the Police and I cannot understand why?? my opinion is the only people who hate the Police are those who commit crimes and then are peeved that they get caught. Someone has set up several hate pages on facebook saying We Hate The Police and several others I cannot remember saying how the Poilce are pigs and scum and pictures depicting the Poilce as the enemy. I have reported these pages several times as I find them very offensive and cannot understand before now, why they have not been removed and the perpitrators dealt with as when you set up a group your name is on it. But then they could have set the group up under a psuedonym, set up another account under that name so if they have an account with their proper name on it cannot be traced back to them.

What is wrong with society today??, if even parents are against the Police. I think it is ignorance and a hate for authority that people have a dislike towards the Police, they are only doing their job and where would we be without them?? I know I would rather have them than not, it still baffles me why people are so against them. :);)

respect doesn't just happen , you have to earn it.

Protesters? Students? Homeless people? Internal affairs?

In response to your original question I don't think it has anything to with trust or anything like that. I just think it's that different professions attract and affirm certain behaviour traits and individuals prone to them. For example teachers: deathly boring people by nature :).

In the same way, people who like to wield authority and have power over others or act with virtual impunity are attracted to the police force. This makes them very easy to hate.

Edit-

I was going to use people who worked/volunteered in Internet forums as an example but really don't want a 72hr ban :)

Oh right I see, yes I know what you mean I think the Police try wherever possible to help others like say a homeless person though. There are some people who go power mad with authority I agree with that, Yes you don`t want to get banned on here, I know what you mean. :);)

Who do the police have hatred towards??. :);)

A good while ago there was an investigation by Radio 4 into the notorious 'canteen culture' of certain police forces (I can't remember which). What came across very strongly was a real disconnect between senior police officers (i.e. the ones wheeled out to do TV and radio interviews - particularly after deaths in police custody) and rank and file officers.

Among some of the rank and file interviewed there was a distinct lack of respect for minority communities, almost a wilful begrudging the rights of anyone who was different to them (i.e. white, male, abled bodied and presumably straight). Now some may see that as refreshing honesty, others will dread a return to the bad old days

when we had a shop at woodhouse the police where always walking past and were a great bunch, we used to have a right laugh with them.

i cant say iv ever had any dealings with any bad ones but one of my blokes friends has. over about 20 years ago he was in town and had abit to much and was having a wee up a wall and the police come and threw him in the back of the van and pasted him :|

Yes they are really nice where we live, you see the PCSO`s walking about and they say hello and are polite. Oh dear Police brutality for peeing up a wall and that was probably before CCTV and fines for public order offences. :);)

Of course they should be held accountable when they do wrong,and it does happen,but they have a very difficult job,give credit where its due.They're are a always going to be a few bad apples as in every profession.

Where would we without them to protect us,and they're should be more of them.

Broadly speaking I agree with you Janie, but that there have been many deaths in police custody and no successful prosecutions suggests to me that it goes beyond 'a few bad apples'.

Criminals hate them for obvious reasons, but the far left hate the police(as an institution, not the individual officers themselves) because its the police that physically stand in the way of revolution...they tackled the Orgreave and Poll tax rioters for example.

Coppers are not coppers any more they are just glorified debt collectors now, I was brought up the respect the police but now they don't deserve respect,I do feel sorry for them though their hands are tied with bureaucracy and red tape some of these little ****s who they have to deal with I would not be able to keep my hands of them, the coppers deserve a medal for dealing with them, they don't seem to be public servants like they used to be any more,all they seem to be interested is getting money out of people they never seem to be around when you need them.

Someone has set up several hate pages on facebook saying We Hate The Police and several others I cannot remember saying how the Poilce are pigs and scum and pictures depicting the Poilce as the enemy. I have reported these pages several times as I find them very offensive and cannot understand before now, why they have not been removed and the perpitrators dealt with as when you set up a group your name is on it.

Can you please explain what you mean by this statement? What crime is being committed by criticising/expressing a dislike for an organisation? The fact that you were offended doesn't cut it. Offence can only be taken, not given.

If someone wishes to set up a group that's based on certain political opinion, then they are completely within their right to do so. The day that right is taken away from us will be a very sad one.

Broadly speaking I agree with you Janie, but that there have been many deaths in police custody and no successful prosecutions suggests to me that it goes beyond 'a few bad apples'.

That is really terrible and very unjust,and i agree to some extent that they're are some who abuse the power of authority they have,we've seen that reported in the press a few times recently, it tarnishes those members of the force who are doing a decent job.

I do think they are trying to make progress though,the police don't want a damaged reputation it doesn't benifit them at all when respectable members of the public feel hostile to them.

Look how often the force were accused of being racist in the past,that seems to have diminished to some degree,and although i think that accusation was sometimes deserved it wasn't (and isn't now ) always so.

Archived