Benefits advice

Hi does anyone on forum know how much a single person, living alone can keep out of earnings (part time) if on J.S.A. Thanks for any information. :help::help:

According to many of chem1st's posts for every pound you earn you lose a pound. I've never checked to see if he's telling porkies. :D

I'm not sure at all, but you can only work up to 16 hours can't you? Is that what you mean?

Saying that, one of my friends went onto jsa whilst working 8 hours I think it was, and he didn't receive any payment from jsa, just his wage from work and signed on and received help from the job centre?

I'd call the jobcentre to be honest.

I just rambled didn't I

You can only work up to 16 hours p/w.

Earnings over £5 will be deducted from your JSA.

e.g. Normal JSA - £70

Start PT Work

Earn £50 p/w from work

JSA deduct £45 from £70 and pay you £25

The £5 "earnings disregard" can vary:

£5 if you are single

£5 if you are only in receipt of Contribution-based JSA for yourself

£10 for couples receiving Income-based JSA (on its own or in addition to Contribution-based JSA) – even if only one partner is working, the full £10 disregard applies

£15 if you are a lone parent in receipt of Income-based JSA and entitled to the lone parent premium

£15 if you have a disability, are in receipt of Income-based JSA, and are entitled to the disability premium

£15 for certain people over 60 in receipt of JSA

£15 if you are a carer in receipt of Income-based JSA and entitled to the carer’s premium

£15 if you are a share fisherman in receipt of Contribution-based JSA

£15 if you are in one of the following special occupations:

part-time member of a fire brigade

auxiliary coastguard directly involved in coastguard rescue activities

the territorial or reserve forces

launching, or crewing a lifeboat.

The sum you are allowed to keep is the earnings disregard of £5 as explained by cgksheff.

The five pound sum has been 5 pounds for over 30 years. In a few short years it was increased from £2 to £5 by Thathcer back in the early 80s.

It has remained the same ever since, whilst inflation has run riot.

Bus fares once were a proportion of £5.

Now £5 is but a proportion of local transport fees. Low paid work does not make sense it is 100% financially irrational.

YOU MOST LIKELY ARE BETTER OFF ON THE DOLE.

The system is at fault.

Hi does anyone on forum know how much a single person, living alone can keep out of earnings (part time) if on J.S.A. Thanks for any information. :help::help:

Hi Princess it very much depends on your circumstances, you maybe entitled to some housing benefit, but have a go at this benefitscalculator:

http://www.turnus.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx

Just don't get your hopes up love, I work 18.5 hours per week and I'm entitled to no help, no nothing. Now if I'd have had children....

Like has been said you can earn a fiver if your single after that you lose pound for pound.

Aye, and you will get full housing and council tax benefit till you have lost all your JSA £1 for £1.

You then lose hb at 60p/£1 and ctb at 20p/£1 - therefore a cumulative rate of 85p/pound.

It then gets more complicated and depends upon geographical location, age, family status, family size and your mental and physical capability - as assessed by unqualified personnel working on the behalf of a private-public target driven organisation, where profits are private and loss is public...

Archived