Shortage of doctors in india

Is it ethical to recruit doctors from India when they are short of doctors?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ethical to recruit doctors from India when they are short of doctors?

• Yes
    • No

Doctors ARE free to move where there is the greatest need.

You're not advocating 'freedom', you're proposing 'compulsion'. - The doctors in your world would be anything but free.

Why bother paying them at all? Why not just send them where you want to and tell them to get on with it?

I wonder whether Doctors in North Korea can choose where they want to work?

Don't most people with an employer go and work where their employer sends them.

I have a couple of mates that are always travelling to countries that they don’t want to go to, but its their job and they have to go where they are sent.

I had an employer that sent me to war; I went because it was my job, I couldn't choose which wars I wanted to feight.

Don't most people with an employer go and work where their employer sends them.

I have a couple of mates that are always travelling to countries that they don’t want to go to, but its their job and they have to go where they are sent.

I had an employer that sent me to war; I went because it was my job, I couldn't choose which wars I wanted to feight.

True, but then most people are free to be able to choose their employer.

You completely missed the point of the OP.

No, the point I was making was that India benefits from their doctors learning skills around the world and then returning to India. The challenge for India is building and maintaining a healthcare system that can attract more doctors back to India.

No, the point I was making was that India benefits from their doctors learning skills around the world and then returning to India. The challenge for India is building and maintaining a healthcare system that can attract more doctors back to India.

But India’s problem isn't their health care system its lack of doctors and their ability to pay them the same rate of pay they get here, we could help India by training our own doctors instead of poaching theirs, we could then offer swaps so ours and theirs both get experience in a different environment.

True, but then most people are free to be able to choose their employer.

They could choose their employer, they can choose to be doctors or not, much like if I choose to be in the army but can't choose where they send me. If I didn't want to go then I could choose not to join.

Doctors would still have some choice because they would be required around the world, so there would be posts available in every country and doctors would have the choice which posts to take, obviously you wouldn’t concentrate the doctors round the wealth, you’d concentrate them round the people with the most need for their services.

But India’s problem isn't their health care system its lack of doctors and their ability to pay them the same rate of pay they get here, we could help India by training our own doctors instead of poaching theirs, we could then offer swaps so ours and theirs both get experience in a different environment.

So you believe that the problem isn't the Indian healthcare system and one to be only based around pay?

Archived