Any Viking history in the Sheffield area?

Does anyone know where any Danish artefacts have been found nearest to Sheffield.

I do know they are found in Lincolnshire mainly near the rivers but I have never heard of any found in the Sheffield area.

I do realise that Sheffield was only a small village on the banks of the Don in the time of the Danelaw so I guess they never bothered to settle but passed on to richer pastures.

Happy Days, PopT

A Viking coin,

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/project-archive/burngreave-voices/vikings.html

There is the Battle of Brunaburh between the Anglo Saxons and the Vikings which some Historians believe took place between Tinsley and Brinsworth..

I think the battle was against a joint force of Vikings and Irish defeated by King Athelstan the son of Alfred the Great. Michael Wood made a great programme some years ago " IN SEARCH OF ATHELSTAN", maybe avaliable on line.

I believe this battle was fought by Harold the same one who copped the arrow in his eye killing him at the Battle of Hastings.He marched his army right after winning all the way back to the south coast to take on the Normans,no wonder they lost they must have been knackered it was tough in those days alright!.:roll::mad:

The battle of Brunanburh is one of the most important in English history. Athelstan (grandson of Alfred) defeated an army of his combined enemies (vikings included) to become High King of all England. Without this victory, England as we know it, would not exist. BTW there are strong reasons for believing that it took place at Tinsley.

Further info - I live in Wadsley, origin Woden's clearing.

• 6 months later...

The debate about Brunanburh (937) goes on and on, the Catcliffe site - and the Humber landing- as detailed in Michael Wood's 1981 series has largely been superceded by scholars in favour of the Bromborough site in the West.

The effects of the great victory at Brunanburh were shortlived, as Athelstan died only two years later in 939, and his Dublin-Norse enemy, Olaf Guthrithson, led yet another, successful, invasion of York and middle-England in 940, occupying the Five Boroughs.

Archived