Conflict in Syria.

...Sunni Muslims are moderate and believe in the equality of women as suggested by Islam.[/color]
Moderate is a relative term. Sunnis might claim to treat women as equals, but I have never seen any evidence to support that. It's down to the definition of 'equal', I guess. What Islam proposes as 'equal', doesn't sound like 'equal' to me!

Moderate is a relative term. Sunnis might claim to treat women as equals, but I have never seen any evidence to support that. It's down to the definition of 'equal', I guess. What Islam proposes as 'equal', doesn't sound like 'equal' to me!

i think the term means moderate compared to more extreme islamic factions, rather than your take on it

It might have been far advanced in its day, but now it's so far behind relatively that it's practically Precambrian. I disagree that their use of nuclear (or chemical and biological) weapons is a wild assumption. I consider it far from unlikely![/QUOTE]

Meaning that they all have a death wish?

Not at all. Iran is lead by theocrats who believe that a supernatural being called Allah will look after them. They also believe that if they do die, they'll go to heaven and be met by loads of virgins. Fine for the men; I guess women don't figure in that scenario, or any decisions regarding war. My point is that they are not as rational as you seem to suggest.

yeah your comparing apples and bananas for effect
So, which ones are the apples, and which ones are the bananas? :huh: Are you saying that the Sunnis are bananas and the Wahabis apples, or vice-versa? Could they both be bananas? Are you bananas? :hihi:

Look, if I can offer any help... :D

So, which ones are the apples, and which ones are the bananas? :huh: Are you saying that the Sunnis are bananas and the Wahabis apples, or vice-versa? Could they both be bananas? Are you bananas? :hihi:

Look, if I can offer any help... :D

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not at all. Iran is lead by theocrats who believe that a supernatural being called Allah will look after them. They also believe that if they do die, they'll go to heaven and be met by loads of virgins. Fine for the men; I guess women don't figure in that scenario, or any decisions regarding war. My point is that they are not as rational as you seem to suggest.

Their whole end game is to have a few nuclear weapons and use them as a bully tool hoping to cow their neighbors into accepting them as the Big Dogs on the block but it wont work.

Israel has nukes and the Iranians know it. Even if it never came down to nukes the two US naval fleets in that area have enough hardware to wipe out their whole infrastructure in a matter of hours

The whole quote (as you may have noticed, it was coloured in blue) was from the same article (the one I provided a link to.)

It probable that the article was written by a Sunni, so it's hardly surprising that the writer would try to make Sunni's look good.

The house of Saud (and a few other prominent families in Saudi Arabia) may well be corrupt, but they are not the people who 'brutally oppress' women in that country.

Should the house of Saud fall (and that might be very likely if the US withdrew its support) then the US - and anybody else wanting to deal with Saudi Arabia - would probably have to deal with strict fundamentalists.

The whole quote (as you may have noticed, it was coloured in blue) was from the same article (the one I provided a link to.)

It probable that the article was written by a Sunni, so it's hardly surprising that the writer would try to make Sunni's look good.

The house of Saud (and a few other prominent families in Saudi Arabia) may well be corrupt, but they are not the people who 'brutally oppress' women in that country.

Should the house of Saud fall (and that might be very likely if the US withdrew its support) then the US - and anybody else wanting to deal with Saudi Arabia - would probably have to deal with strict fundamentalists.

Oh sure, sure. It's a nasty dilemma, albeit clear enough who to support. Women aren't much better off under the Sauds, but that little bit makes all the difference, I guess. The sad thing is that it's not going to progress in the foreseeable future, unlike women's lib did over here.

Archived