Conflict in Syria.

Please don't turn this into a joke thread,its a very serious topic.

It's no more serious than the problem with the marmite jars thread. Unless of course you are currently living in Syria. Otherwise it's just a group of people (us) who know/understand very little about what's actually happening commenting on something which barely affects the vast majority of us. Just discussing stories in the media. It was a flippant reply to a silly remark.

Until you have little green writing under your name, I'll continue to post whatever I feel like on any thread- including "yours" without a reprimand. Thank you very much.

It convinces me how urgent the talks are with UN representatives,and how complicated it all is,with no sign of it being resolved for some time yet.:sad:

'Talks'.

The UN is good at 'talks'.

Kofi Anna has quit. (Couldn't one of his sons make a few bob on the side?)

Syria is in the middle of an extremely bloody civil war.

The Arab League (local policemen) aren't interested in intervening.

The UN can't.

There are two obvious courses of action:

It's a civil war. There are few (if any) instances of civil wars being 'resolved' through outside interference. - Forget history, forget previous examples.

You could either leave themselves alone to sort it out between themselves and make friends with the winners afterwards (they might be pi88ed off that you didn't help them, but they will still need friends.)

Or alternatively, you can take sides.

If you back the wrong horse, then the winners are likely to be really pi88ed off with you.

If you back the right horse, then after the dust settles, the rider of that horse is probably going to need some money -perhaps a lot of money - to put his country back together.

If you've got loads of spare money, give it to him and he will be your friend for ever. Or for half an hour. Or until he gets a better offer elsewhere.

If you don't give him loads of money, you may find that he blames you for the war in the first place.

You can't win. But there's nothing new in that. Civil wars have two sides and (unless it's your country which is having the civil war) you aren't on either.

It's no more serious than the problem with the marmite jars thread. Unless of course you are currently living in Syria. Otherwise it's just a group of people (us) who know/understand very little about what's actually happening commenting on something which barely affects the vast majority of us. Just discussing stories in the media. It was a flippant reply to a silly remark.

Until you have little green writing under your name, I'll continue to post whatever I feel like on any thread- including "yours" without a reprimand. Thank you very much.

SBCY has just posted a link,did you look at it?

Just because things are arn't happening on our own door step that doesn't mean we should not have any interest or be affected by them,even if we don't understand it all.

Its possible that we might be more involved in this Syrian crisis then we would like to be in time.If it was to effect us more closely we wouldn't be joking about it then would we.

Just because things are arn't happening on our own door step that doesn't mean we should not have any interest or be affected by them,even if we don't understand it all.

Its possible that we might be more involved in this Syrian crisis then we would like to be in time.If it was to effect us more closely we wouldn't be joking about it then would we.

If you want to get involved - get involved. I'll hold your coat.

If you want British troops to get involved - get lost!

If you want to get involved - get involved. I'll hold your coat.

If you want British troops to get involved - get lost!

Whats that supposed to mean?

Are you suggesting i want us to be involved, with our troops being sent over there? If you think thats the outcome i would like to see you are quite wrong.

its always kicking of in syria :(

In which Arab/Muslim countries is it not "always kicking off"?

That's just how they do things. It's all very dramatic and meaningful in the news. Tyrants and freedom fighters, terrorists and regime change. When really its just international speculating and meddling in stone age mentality tribal warfare.

The risk of getting involved is that any weaponry supplied to the rebels may fall into the hands of the Al Qaeda factions who are known to be among them.

If there had been a grain of common sense and decency in all of this the Chinese and Russians could have ceased all shipments of arms to Assad. Instead they've been doing the opposite and the UN despite the efforts to establish a cease fire has proved itself completely impotent and ineffective

In which Arab/Muslim countries is it not "always kicking off"?

That's just how they do things. It's all very dramatic and meaningful in the news. Tyrants and freedom fighters, terrorists and regime change. When really its just international speculating and meddling in stone age mentality tribal warfare.

You couldn`t really sum it up better.The stone age mentality of religion trumps democracy every time.

Islam and democracy cannot coexist.

Look at Burma/Myanmar.They are photo shopping images from 10years ago to make it look like Muslims are being slaughtered to lure jihadists over there.

Archived