Things are the way they are .. and there isn't anything we can do?

Not that I'm an expert on these matters, but recently I got on my soapbox about Bob Diamond's payoff ... £30m, £20m or "only" £2m?

My friend refused to have an opinion. He said - "Things are the way they are, and there's nothing we can do about them".

Although I was a bit shocked at his apathy, I have to say the guy is happy and I wonder whether I stress myself about matters that are way beyond my influence.

Should I be bothered about the report that "City bonuses soar to record £19bn" (Not a Daily Mail reader, just stumbled across this, honestly!)

Are we being taken to the cleaners? Us, our children, and our grandchildren?

Maybe I should just be like my mate - just get along with things and don't worry about the government of the day, their friends ... and the powers that have us over a barrel.

Are you resigned to being powerless to change anything, and are you happier for it?

Anyway. I'm really not going to bother about this now ... there's something special about to happen at the Olympics.

Jesica Ennis? Awesome, awesome, awesome: totally moving.

Mo Farrah and Greg Rutherford? Absolutely amazing.

The rowers? I'm overwhelmed. ... we've won the olympics! :smile:

Why am I reminded though, of this quote from Gladiator? [if you haven't already seen it, please seek it out!]

"I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it."

I know, I know, there's no modern politician competent enough to distract us from the ills of society by giving us "games", but nevertheless, we are distracted ...

... but before I continue ... it does feel great to be British tonight ... what an unforgettable evening ...

but .. all is not good, is it?

oh and thanks, RB, courage, serenity and wisdom are admirable qualities.

What I'm seeking is a little inspiration and the courage of our athletes ... individually, collectively, there is the power within us to inspire, to excel, to transform ...

Excuse me while I ramble ... Hope, Shawshank, Obama's "Audacity of Hope", Mandela, dreams ... Martin Luther King ...

Where's the British equivalent of this Norwegian commentator when you need one ...

oh goodness(?) will I ever remember tomorrow that the bankers p**s me off?

I'll try not to remember, there's naff all i can do about it ...

more games, more games ...

It depends how much effort you want to put in. Close your bank accounts and join a credit union. Can they do direct debits and stuff like debit cards ? No idea but I doubt it. Just use cash and you could manage. Go to a building society, there must be a few left. Or try the co- op, theyre supposed to be more ethical although a thread on here said otherwise. Get food from local shops. You'd still be paying the like of coke etc but you could go to a farmers Market and get food from there. By bike obviously rather than lining firsts and/or oil companies pockets. Grow what you can, knit your own pants....

All doable but bloody hard work.

.........Why am I reminded though, of this quote from Gladiator? [if you haven't already seen it, please seek it out!]

"I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it."

I think the screenwriter must have been paid by the word. The first century quote that inspired him gets straight to the point:

"Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt."

I know exactly what you mean.

I go through periods of quiet serenity and am all the happier for it, but then something happens to get me all fired up and off on a rant again.

But look at it this way, we are in a situation which is unprecedented, a perfect storm is developing around us which threatens the whole capitalist system. People on the margins are already hurting badly, be they young or old, unemployed or disabled.

We always prided ourselves in this country on fairness and justice, and looking after those who needed help. We were able to look to our 'elders and betters' for leadership and example.

Now we seem to have abandoned these ideals and no one knows where it will end, but we can see which way it is going. Nobody is safe, and if it doesn't affect you personally now, it probably will sooner or later. I am not affected at the moment, but I know people who are, and they need my support, just as I may need yours in the future. Our only strength is if we all stick together.

If you don't believe any of this, just imagine for a moment that it is true, and ask yourself if you're happy with what you see happening around you, what would it take to spur you into action? Is it enough to say you can't change anything without even trying?

I am sick to death of hearing about this bonuses crap. I think it's a distraction, whether intentional or not. Really, what do we expect?

It's quite simple. We, as consumers, either vote for these institutions, capitalise and empower them and their inherently corrupt and now well documented ways, or we vote elsewhere and watch them crumble.

It sounds harsh, but if a "financial crisis" is what it takes to wake people up to the responsibility they have as consumers and individuals, then bring it on.

We can't rely on government to save us any more.

I think the screenwriter must have been paid by the word. The first century quote that inspired him gets straight to the point:

"Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt."

People need the right to grow their own crops so that they can make their own bread.

Archived