Things are the way they are .. and there isn't anything we can do?

It will always be the same and we can't do anything about it.

It doesn't matter who is in power, the rich and powerful will do what they want because that is how capitalism survives.

The majority of the people have to struggle along day to day living off the crumbs of these people.

We can only accept it and carry on!

Guest sibon
I am sick to death of hearing about this bonuses crap. I think it's a distraction, whether intentional or not. Really, what do we expect?

It's quite simple. We, as consumers, either vote for these institutions, capitalise and empower them and their inherently corrupt and now well documented ways, or we vote elsewhere and watch them crumble.

It sounds harsh, but if a "financial crisis" is what it takes to wake people up to the responsibility they have as consumers and individuals, then bring it on.

We can't rely on government to save us any more.

Indeed, although it is rather easier to move your money to a mutual than it is to stop using huge corporations.

I can quit HSBC easily, Proctor and Gamble, Unilever, Boots and Tesco present a bigger challenge.

"Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt."
Thanks for this!

We can't rely on government to save us any more.
Too right!

These stirrings I have within me (nothing to do with last night's curry) ... that maybe things can change ... should I nurture them ... or ignore them and let them fade?

"To be, or not to be" ... haha :loopy: maybe I am going mad, but somehow, maybe somehow, we don't have to accept our powerlessness ...

It might take a lot of pressure, time and patience ...

"Know what's weird? Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything's different."

... or we could take it easy and let others control the course of events ...

“The most common way people give up their power ... is by thinking they don't have any”

These thoughts torment me ...

Who am I to ... http://www.ignitechange.net/think-like-mandela-who-are-you-not-to-be-brilliant :loopy::help:

Bankers bonuses were really not much to do with us until:

1. We had to start bailing out the banks, us the taxpayers.

2. Banks that weren't bailed out were helped to survive by taxpayer-funded guarantees and liquidity schemes.

3. Banks were revealed to be facing the possibility of criminal investigation for manipulating markets that affect our everyday lives.

4. At least one bank (HSBC) seems to have been fuelled by drug money laundering, on the watch of a man who is now a government minister.

Fairdooz, you are right that the ordinary man in the street can't do much by himself. One place to start is by not voting for the main parties that are in the pockets of the banks. I'll never vote Tory anyway but as it stands I'll never vote Labour again either.

Quote:

In modern times, Traiano Boccalini cites "divide et impera" in La bilancia politica, 1,136 and 2,225 as a common principle in politics. The use of this technique is meant to empower the sovereign to control subjects, populations, or factions of different interests, who collectively might be able to oppose his rule. Machiavelli identifies a similar application to military strategy, advising in Book VI of The Art of War[3] (Dell'arte della guerra),[4] that a Captain should endeavor with every art to divide the forces of the enemy, either by making him suspicious of his men in whom he trusted, or by giving him cause that he has to separate his forces, and, because of this, become weaker

That Machiavelli was a clever one and today whilst there are so many political parties he has a point

Archived