Frustration at Insurance Company

Advice please. I was involved in an incident where my car was hit on the motorway by an unsecured load which fell off the back of a van. Despite notifying the insurance company iimmediately, it was 11 days before they came to take away my car for inspection. I have also been advised that it will not be returned for a further ten days at least.

The problem is, my service, MOT and insurance expire tomorrow.

When I asked them what I should do about this - considering they have my car, and I can't do anything about the above - they told me it was not their problem!

I am livid. I am not sure what to do.

You don’t find out what your insurance is worth until you come to claim …….. I know it’s no good to you now but in the future you may like to try Aviva.

They picked my car up from work, they delivered a hire car to work and they brought the car back to my home address when it was complete, the only complaint I had was that the repair took too long but that was down to ADR not Aviva.

You wouldn’t happen to be getting it repaired by ADR would you?

No idea, Grandad. The communication I have received from this company has been worse than poor. Is it acceptable for me to have a break in my MOT/insurance, considering this situation. I certainly don't want to renew with OneCall for obvious reasons, but can't get my MOT/new insurance while they have my car.

Even when I first contacted them, I told them about this, which is why they placed me on supposed high-priority and was told my car would be collected within three days. Not only was it not collected in that time, but they didn't even contact me. I had to contact them, and they did not come until, as I said, 11 days after the incident. What is more, is that they told me if I took my car to a garage for inspection during that time, my insurance would be null and void.

Now they have my car, they couldn't care less about my predicament.

Considering I came within inches of a DOUBLE BED flying through my windscreen and killing me, I am absolutely disgusted at the lack of interest, and care this company has provided.

Something sounds very wrong, my car was picked up the next day ………. 11 days :o

They must have told you where it has been taken, couldn’t they do you a MOT while they have got it.

I guess you could insure with another company but the current claim will be taken as your fault until its cleared up by your present insurer.

My insurance company. OneCall.

And you don't have a courtesy vehicle as part of your cover?

If not then you could use a claims handling company and be claiming the use of a courtesy vehicle from the 3rd parties insurance.

Of the 3 things that you mention, renew your insurance, change insurance companies if you wish, that will affect nothing.

Your service will wait, it doesn't expire and won't hurt the car to wait a few days to get it done.

The MOT is the only difficult bit, when you have a date for the car to be returned, book it in for an MOT that day. Either have it returned directly to the place that does the MOT or just drive it there yourself (this is legal as long as you have booked the MOT in advance and drive straight there).

There's no big issue here, I can see why the insurance company aren't really that bothered.

No idea, Grandad. The communication I have received from this company has been worse than poor. Is it acceptable for me to have a break in my MOT/insurance, considering this situation. I certainly don't want to renew with OneCall for obvious reasons, but can't get my MOT/new insurance while they have my car.

You can get new insurance, why would you need the car physically to do this?

And having an MOT isn't a requirement to own a car, only to drive and/or tax it, neither of which you will doing.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Onecall are an insurer - they're a broker. I would go through your documents, and find out who your underwriters are, and contact them maybe?

Alternatively, if they're being difficult, send a fax/email addressed to the complaints department, and threaten to report them to the FOS.

Archived