Info about Sanders and Bowers knives please.

clubook

I have several boxes of knives, forks and spoons which I was told were made by my great uncles, long since passed away. I assume these things were kept "for best" as they've never been out of their dusty old boxes, some are silver, some stainless steel. Anyway they were made to be used so recently I decided to dig them out and put them into service.

Sadly the sets of dessert knives and forks haven't done too well, they are in a box with the Friar brand on, stainless steel with mother of pearl type handles. Some of the handles (I'm assuming they are bakelite?) are disintegrating, they are splitting and there is a quite foul oily smell coming from them. I've no idea when these were made, certainly more than 40 years ago, needless to say the steel is in perfect condition (just stabbed myself in the thumb with one of the forks!)

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to get new handles put on locally without it costing a bomb? I know there are lots of similar ones available on ebay but I would really like to use these ones. Thanks.

The smell is from the Xylonite handles which are very imflamable, there is a chap who works in the Portland Works on Randall St, just off Bramall Lane and he restores cutlery so it may be worth your while going to see him.

Hi, your post caught my eye as I was trying to look up history on Globes works. My dad was Frank Sanders, brother to Albert and Ron

Hello, thanks for the info; I've pm'd you.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 20:18 ----------

Hi.I do not know of anyone who can replace the handles, but I am the daughter of Ron Sanders, one of 3 brothers who owned and ran the company after their father died. Most of the cutlery I have was made in the 50's and 60's with the firm being taken over by arthur price of england probably in the later 70's early 80's. Hope this helps.

Hello, thanks for the info; I've pm'd you. My grandfather was Lawrence, one of Albert senior's younger brothers, so your fathers and Albert junior were my mum, Joan's, cousins, so we are second cousins.

Archived