Police and the internet

Surely it can be very helpful to inform the public about certain investigations and situations to prevent speculation and help with enquiries? In those instances then using local web media is a lot faster and less sapping of budgets and officers' time than organising press conferences.

I agree, I follow Ian Stubbs, as I live in Gleadless Valley these days. I don't live in fear of crime, but moving into a new area, its useful the have the facts - and accurate ones at that, rather than speculation.

I'm quite happy that someone in a civilian role is paid to communicate with the public and that one of the means of communication is tweeting (note I don't use twitter myself). This will be as part of a comprehensive communication strategy including other mediums I hope.

same here.

i think in these times of austerity, it should be applauded that the police are using resources which are free to disseminate information!

if it means more people can engage with their local force for all manner of reasons, who would otherwise feel they couldnt/shouldnt or simply dont know how to, why not?

its also worth noting that there are scheduling tools you can use so that you dont have to be actually online when the "tweet" is published. the hourly tweets you may see from an account could be created in 30mins giving the illusion of a constant presence. appearances can be deceptive ;)

x

No to the first one and yes to the second one.

You'd seriously expect enough police on the beat that one might have wandered past whilst you were being attacked?

And you think that by sacking the communications staff they would be able to employ enough officers to achieve this...

I'm not sure you've thought this through very rationally.

Youd do well to take your own advice.

Now, if youve done taking the mick and trying to be funny/clever/both then maybe we can get back on topic?

who is taking the mick ?, have you read my posts at all ?

try thinking before typing because all you are doing is making yourself look foolish.

lol at this thread

as has been said aswell as police monitoring twitter etc for criminal activity they also now see its potential to put messages out there cheaply to get information out into the public domain, IT DOESNT mean thered be an extra plod on the beat if they dint do it.

same with me, the other winter when it was bad with snow i used arrivas bus info page on facebook to let me know when my bus was running or taken off or any diversions, there WOULDNT be an extra bus on the streets if they dint do it, it doesnt work like that

Civilian staff who need paying.

Sack them and employ more bobbies.

And who would have to do the job which civilian staff do?

You haven't really thought things through have you.

is your point that we need more coppers on the street ( most would agree with this i imagine)

or are you just against them moving with the times and using new technology to reach the public?

And who would have to do the job which civilian staff do?

You haven't really thought things through have you.

is your point that we need more coppers on the street ( most would agree with this i imagine)

or are you just against them moving with the times and using new technology to reach the public?

the usual troll fishing for an arguement at any cost, despite what logic is thrown at them

Archived