Does anyone know of any ghosts or strange happenings on The Moor?

Harry1000

Originally posted by Harry1000

I am interested in any strange goings on and stories from The Moor. Does anyone know of any tales about things that go bump in the night from this area in the town centre. Please let me know, Cheers!!!!:D

try this site they do ghost tours:thumbsup:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/tourist-information/visitor-attractions/ghost-walks

Left Sheffield in 1946 I have asked this ? twice no response.Is the moor the same Moors one could get into fm Penistone Rd past football grounds, I am thinking old cem' the one shown in "Full Monty' .If the same my bro' & I having been set free fm Fullwood Homes and going a little wild, would go to the graves at midnight light a fire and wait for the ghosts to arrive we didn't see ghosts but scared ourselves silly. Its a long walk back to Penistone Rd in the pitch black.

The only ghostly tale I have ever heard of in connection with the Moor area concerned the alleged haunting of the then Midland Bank , 'Sheffield Operations Centre', Deacon House building based on Eyre Street. I am highly sceptical about ghosts myself, but here is the tale as relayed to me by a friend and ex-member of staff.

Allegedly, around 1977 graves were moved or demolished in the churchyard of the church near Bramall Lane [st Mary's?]. Shortly after, Bank Messengers on reception duties in the early evening [apparently there whilst the cleaners did their duties] began to notice 'strange happenings', such as the lifts going up and down when the only people in the building were the two Messengers, all cleaners having left. Other tales arose pertaining to telexes of 'gobbledegook' allegedly received by international banks, suggesting that the sender had been in Deacon House at three in the morning etc. The half-joke was that the ghosts had moved from the churchyard to take up residence in a clearing bank headquarters built around 1973.

Later, in the early 80s, a friend who worked briefly on reception there informed me of a more hair-raising incident. He told of a cleaner who allegedly encountered the ghost of an elderly gentleman whilst undertaking her duties on one of the highest floors. My friend and his senior colleague were the only people aside from the female cleaner in her early fifties in the building, one winter morning around 7.30-7.45 in the early 80s. The cleaner came down to reception in the lift, and remarked to my friend and his colleague that a senior-looking member of staff had passed her, wishing her 'Good Morning', as she was waiting for the lift on the floor she had just cleaned. The 'gentleman' allegedly entered the floor by opening the door [rather than the usually reported 'floating in'!],but the cleaner felt that 'something was wrong'. He looked strange, far too old to be still working, in a 'Victorian'-style suit, and in the building far too early. She reported what she had seen to the receptionists. The Head of security, a man in his early sixties, went straight up to the floor and found nobody there. Nor was there anyone else on any of the building's seven floors. Nobody had entered the building except for the cleaner and the two security staff. When later told of this, the poor cleaner became hysterical and fainted with terror. My friend informs me that she resigned, never to come back.

To my knowledge, no-one else ever encountered the alleged spectre. My friend, who worked there until 1991, never heard anything else. The alleged encounter was kept quiet for fear of terrifying the team of cleaners who worked in the evenings, and possibly so as not to alarm staff on the sixth floor. The building is still in use. Who knows, perhaps one early morning the old gentleman of the sixth floor might decide to put in an appearance again?

Archived