The atheist's worst nightmare!

Belief may or may not have degrees, but it still has a status of either there or not there. If you are unsure about your belief, if you cannot say "I believe" then you don't currently believe.

I believe, occasionally. In belief.

Do you? I've never seen one, touched one, smelled one, but I think they exist.

How would you recognise a single, indivisible, belief?

It is a bit strong, so I would never accuse anybody directly, but that is what I think about people adopting a gnostic position with respect to God.

When somebody say "I know God exists because he helped me get over my cat's death", I just nod my head and think deluded, even if I don't say it, even if they are a friend.

We are all deluded about many things, and I don't exclude atheists from that merely because we share a position in response to a single question.

However, do a google search on "I know god exists because" and you will get 433,000 links to many deluded excuses.

I do suspect that many clerics are liars though.

I can't argue against that if you're using a strict definition of deluded, but as you say lots of people are deluded about lots of things & it's mostly harmless.

I only object when they try to force their deluded beliefs on others.

That makes you an agnostic atheist, if you don't follow any religions. Most agnostic theists would identify with a particular religion & follow it even though they aren't sure. Atheism isn't a religion, it describes somebody who doesn't believe in any gods.

Gnostics do exist, a simple google battle proves it (as much as I can be bothered): "proof that god exists" gets about 1,130,000 results, "proof that god doesn't exist" gets about 294,000 results. I was searching for those specific terms in quotes so those aren't bad scores, they're out there :loopy:

No because I am not saying I don't believe in god but I am open to the idea of their being a god.. What I'm saying is because they is no definite answer, my answer shall then be i don't know which sets me apart from an atheist , because I will only believe scientific knowledge and because science has no answer to the question, " I don't know" is the answer so makes me agnostic only as I only want to believe things that are deemed true... Now you say you don't believe in god but that your open to the idea, well then that makes you not a atheist or agnostic originally but because the word atheist has been altered then it now makes you an atheist but atheist only

I can't argue against that if you're using a strict definition of deluded, but as you say lots of people are deluded about lots of things & it's mostly harmless.

I only object when they try to force their deluded beliefs on others.

Your the one forcing ideas on people by saying I'm agnostic atheist.. Now all through this thread I made clear that this is about what I consider myself not other people

No because I am not saying I don't believe in god but I am open to the idea of their being a god.. What I'm saying is because they is no definite answer, my answer shall then be i don't know which sets me apart from an atheist , because I will only believe scientific knowledge and because science has no answer to the question, " I don't know" is the answer so makes me agnostic only as I only want to believe things that are deemed true... Now you say you don't believe in god but that your open to the idea, well then that makes you not a atheist or agnostic originally but because the word atheist has been altered then it now makes you an atheist but atheist only

You can be open to the idea of there being a God & still be atheist, that's what makes you an agnostic atheist. You could be not sure, but still believe it's more likely than not, so follow a religion & be an agnostic theist.

The meaning of atheist hasn't been altered by anybody except religious people who see it as a threat. The Bible isn't the best place to look up word definitions. Look up theist, atheist comes from that, it means somebody without a belief in any gods. You don't have to believe there are no gods to not have a belief in any gods.

No because I am not saying I don't believe in god but I am open to the idea of their being a god..

<snip>

because the word atheist has been altered then it now makes you an atheist but atheist only

If you go back to the origins of the word (and all the online dictionaries seem to agree on this bit at least), it comes from Greek for "godless". You say you don't believe in God, therefore you are Godless, and therefore an atheist.

You can be open to the idea of there being a God & still be atheist, that's what makes you an agnostic atheist. You could be not sure, but still believe it's more likely than not, so follow a religion & be an agnostic theist.

The meaning of atheist hasn't been altered by anybody except religious people who see it as a threat. The Bible isn't the best place to look up word definitions. Look up theist, atheist comes from that, it means somebody without a belief in any gods. You don't have to believe there are no gods to not have a belief in any gods.

But what I'm saying is I'm only open to their beings god if it is fact, since it's not my answer is still I don't know.. Seriously it doesn't mean I'm still agnostic atheist as I choose to only follow proven facts.. Come on, I'm getting an headache now, I been at this all day..its not hard to understand

Archived