The atheist's worst nightmare!

Thinking about the OP and Ray Comfort's statement about "atheist's worst nightmare", I can't fathom why he thinks his particular fear of being wrong can be projected onto atheists, who have no emotional investment in the question.

If something convinced me to change my mind, I'll just change my mind ... cool, no nightmares at all, just following the evidence. Quite exciting actually, changing one's mind.

Just been looking at some of my posts and realised I could have been more clearer in what I was trying to say on why I consider why I am just an agnostic rather than a agnostic atheist.. So as my last post on this topic, this is why.....

An agnosticism is a stance between belief and knowledge, rather than about any SPECIFIC CLAIM or belief. An agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, where as a theist and an atheist believe or disbelieves respectively. However agnosticism is the view that humanity does not yet posses the knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient grounds to justify the belief that deity or deities either do or don't exist... So because I don't believe nor disbelieve, i am just agnostic,

I don't know what they believe in,but Palirichard is one and sounds very nice,perhaps he will wish to take issue with your comment.:)

I never said they weren't nice people. I don't think religious belief or lack of one stops people from being nice.

Maybe he will correct me, but they believe in reincarnation & things like that which seem to require some kind of supernatural force, but they don't believe in deities.

To paraphrase Richard Dawkins, I'm as agnostic to God, as I am agnostic to the existence of pink unicorns... there's no evidence that either exist, but since you scientifically can't prove a negative there is a possibility (no matter how small) that they do.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

No because the question is about the first thing that came into existence, and how the universe came . To say they isn't no pink unicorns but because we can't find any, they could be is nonsense as we know they is no pink unicorns. But people are not sure if they is a god or not because he not been seen at all.

No because the question is about the first thing that came into existence, and how the universe came . To say they isn't no pink unicorns but because we can't find any, they could be is nonsense as we know they is no pink unicorns. But people are not sure if they is a god or not because he not been seen at all.

How do you know there are no pink unicorns? You can't easily prove they don't exist. You'd have to search all of the universe to prove they aren't just a bit shy & hiding on a distant planet. It's even harder with a deity that is supposed to be outside of our normal existence.

How do you know there are no pink unicorns? You can't easily prove they don't exist. You'd have to search all of the universe to prove they aren't just a bit shy & hiding on a distant planet. It's even harder with a deity that is supposed to be outside of our normal existence.

I presumed he meant on earth, which could be proven

No it can't, they could be some sort of creature capable of living in lava, deep beneath the Earth's crust, or they could live deep in the ocean, or (more likely option) they could have died out millenia ago. You can't prove that something doesn't exist, all you can say is there is no evidence for it's existance.

No it can't, they could be some sort of creature capable of living in lava, deep beneath the Earth's crust, or they could live deep in the ocean, or (more likely option) they could have died out millenia ago. You can't prove that something doesn't exist, all you can say is there is no evidence for it's existance.

Of course you can - if you assume something exists and show that assumption leads to a logical fallacy then you have a well known proof of reduction ad absurdum.

Even on Earth there are areas of unexplored jungle. Maybe they just run & hide when anybody looks for them. New species of animals are still discovered all the time, check these out: https://asunews.asu.edu/20120523_2012top10#.UCMF5ztZJFQ

Nobody has found a pink unicorn yet, but we can't yet prove they aren't hiding somewhere. Maybe at some point in the future if we were able to scan the entire Earth in that much detail to make sure there weren't any. If you limit the space & time then it becomes easier to disprove.

If you say a God lives outside the known universe & isn't something that could be measured, that can never be disproved.

Archived