The atheist's worst nightmare!

But they is no such thing as an agnostic atheist.. An atheist is a belief that god Doesn't exist so that is a belief.. Now agnostic is going on knowledge, which says your unsure as they is no proof that God does or doesn't exist, it's not a belief so you can not be both

A'theism means without belief in god. Simples.

Somebody that lacks belief in god is an a'theist, that is somebody that cannot answer "yes" to the question.

Note the apostrophe there, which is how the word used to be presented in dictionaries.

Somebody that has a positive "belief that god doesn't exist" as you say, or states that there is no god, is definitely an a'theist, but so is somebody who simply lacks belief.

Please read the link I provided earlier, and see how it is logically sound to be an a'gnostic a'theist. Not only can you be both gnostic or a'gnostic AND theist or a'theist at the same time, but you must be, because they both refer to different positions.

Well it's true if I answer no to the question .. Do I believe in god would make me an atheist but if I answer " I don't know" then reading what I'm reading would suggest I'm just agnosticism as agnosticism it says is the view that we don't currently possess the knowledge or reason to provide sufficient grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist.

If you answer "I don't know" on the basis that you don't have the knowledge or reason to qualify your position, then you would not be theist. If you are not theist, you are an atheist: a[meaning: not]theist.

A'theism means without belief in god. Simples.

What if God is a table, I believe tables exist, so I couldn’t claim that I don’t know if God exists.

So to be able to claim I don’t know if God exists, I would need to know what God is, until then I would be Ignostic. :)

I respect what you are saying but of what I have read atheism is a religion, now because religion is about choice, I have no right to say it is myself though what is deemed as correct is atheism is a religion because you have a belief that god did not make the world but are open to the belief that they is something though agnostic is when your unsure if they is a god or not, because as he not been proved, he can't be ruled out so you don't have a belief so though saying this we don't necessarily have to class ourself of something just because other people have deemed it to be

I respect what you are saying but of what I have read atheism is a religion, now because religion is about choice, I have no right to say it is myself though what is deemed as correct is atheism is a religion because you have a belief that god did not make the world but are open to the belief that they is something though agnostic is when your unsure if they is a god or not, because as he not been proved, he can't be ruled out so you don't have a belief so though saying this we don't necessarily have to class ourself of something just because other people have deemed it to be

No. Atheism is simply the lack of belief in God. Everything else you have wrote is complete and utter twaddle.

jb

What if God is a table, I believe tables exist, so I couldn’t claim that I don’t know if God exists.

So to be able to claim I don’t know if God exists, I would need to know what God is, until then I would be Ignostic. :)

If you say that god is a table, and I believe in table's, then I would accept that your god exists.

However, I would simply conclude that you are barking, and remain an agnostic atheist towards the possibility of a god or gods by my own definition of god.

To bring your scenario into a more realistic setting, there are/were native American Indians that worshipped their totem poles as gods. Again I would accept that their god exists, but remain an agnostic atheist since it my own understanding of god that is important.

I will accept that defining god is important before establishing whether you believe in it or not, and my own understanding can change. Since most theists can't even do this, atheism seems logical.

However, I simply don't think the word ignostic is useful, certainly not a capitalised one. I accept you and barleycorn using the word to self identify though.

Archived