Good food at The Horns, High Bradfield

speleo1

Glad to hear some nice reviews. I must say, their website choices haven't filled me with high expectations, and I generally avoid "2 for a fiver" kind of places like the plague. However, it really is in a stunning setting, and it would be brilliant to find decent food in such a great location. Think I will put my prejudices to one side and give it a go.

Glad to hear some nice reviews. I must say, their website choices haven't filled me with high expectations, and I generally avoid "2 for a fiver" kind of places like the plague. However, it really is in a stunning setting, and it would be brilliant to find decent food in such a great location. Think I will put my prejudices to one side and give it a go.

You must ... you won't be disappointed! I, like yourself, usually give the 2 for 5 a wide berth, but this is different! I can recommend the fish and chips, home made minced beef pie all served with home made chips and peas, plenty of it too! The car park says it all, arrive between 12.30 and 1.30 and you'll struggle to find a space to park! The website does not do the place justice, believe me! And before anybody asks ... I have no connection with the pub at all!

Keep trying Derby Tup, at least you give me a good laugh.

well done for being a good sport and not taking my comments too seriously. ;)

On a related topic - very interested in any recommendations for veggie places as it would be dead handy when my gargantuan niece visits.

(Honestly never know where to take her. Best veggie place I've been to was an Indian restaurant called Sayonarra - but that's in Leicester!)

The Sheffield Star gave it a good write up.:)

Ever seen a bad write up for anywhere in the Star?

I haven't.

Maybe I've missed it, but I take no notice at all of their restaurant reviews because they are all so wonderfully nice that they are just unreliable I'm afraid.

And let's be straight about this...how "objective" is a restaurant review when the guy who is doing the reviewing is a local media celebrity?

The only reviews worth their salt are independent food reviews, such as those conducted by the Good Food Guide - not surprisingly Sheffield has very few entries in there.

On a related topic - very interested in any recommendations for veggie places as it would be dead handy when my gargantuan niece visits.

(Honestly never know where to take her. Best veggie place I've been to was an Indian restaurant called Sayonarra - but that's in Leicester!)

I've been going to the Sayonara for 30 years! On my last visit to Leicester, I broke with tradition and went to Shivalli - much more modern decor and even better veggie food. Dhanisthas and East&West do similar food in Sheff, but without the nice decor...

Archived