Good food at The Horns, High Bradfield

speleo1

Well, we went on Sunday and I'm glad to say my preconceptions were completely wrong. Great place, good honest pub grub, none of your mass-catered frozen rubbish, just good, tasty nosh. Decent menu choice, lovely chips. Word of warning - HUGE portions, go hungry. Fine dining it aint, but good food, good service, lovely location it is.

So def not the same company who run Crosspool Tavern then .

Well, we went on Sunday and I'm glad to say my preconceptions were completely wrong. Great place, good honest pub grub, none of your mass-catered frozen rubbish, just good, tasty nosh. Decent menu choice, lovely chips. Word of warning - HUGE portions, go hungry. Fine dining it aint, but good food, good service, lovely location it is.
Agreed!..........good value, but obscenely large portions.We should not be eating all that food whilst we have an obese epidemic in UK.However some of the huge people eating there when I once called will no doubt disagree!

Went to the Old Horns today for lunch after reading recommendations and I must say I was disappointed. I am not a critical person by nature but struggling to find the positives in the meal. Firstly it was really busy (good sign I thought) but we had to wait 1/2 hour for our table with no where to sit whilst we waited, it was very busy so had to stand in the middle of the room with a toddler and an 83 year old being knocked around by waiting staff and customers. The table itself was good with nice views but the staff seemed too busy to take orders and had to keep trying to catch them and the guy on the carvery looked so fed up I felt sorry for him. The meal itself was at best average although the beef and pork was very nice, veg was very sad looking and unappetising. Puddings were nice and well presented though and top marks for OurCowMolly ice cream. After reading all the other positive comments on here I wonder if they are the victims of their own success and not keeping up with demand?

We went for a carvery on sunday about 5:30 ish,it wasnt busy.

The chef(alleged)carved the worst piece of fat and gristle i ever had.

The beef was full of it. His appearance was scruffy,there were no carrots,when i asked were those herby diced potatoes? he replied,i dont know, just some potatoes that tasted nice?

They were dry and cold to be honest.

They really need to rejig there yorkshire pudding mix,they were flat and stodgey.

It was the worst carvery we have been to at the old Horns,its usually really good.

We just hope its a one off. will let you know.

Archived