A Chinese restaurant which doesn't use MSG?

We had a meal at Little Hanoi on London Road which I know is Vietnamese not Chinese, but it was excellent and neither of us felt 'over salted' or clogged up with fat afterwards. In fact I felt as good as if I'd cooked it myself. It might be worth asking them if the use MSG as I doubt it.

Little Hanoi is just a few doors up from Ozmens. Instead of finding a restaurant that doesn't use MSG, which is rare, you're best searching for one that is competent enough to meet your request for dishes that won't contain it. Mandar-Inn, next to Noodle Inn, is a really good Chinese place. I personally think it's the best in Sheffield. Last time I was there they were accommodating someone who didn't want MSG in their food so it's worth asking them.

We had a meal at Little Hanoi on London Road which I know is Vietnamese not Chinese, but it was excellent and neither of us felt 'over salted' or clogged up with fat afterwards. In fact I felt as good as if I'd cooked it myself. It might be worth asking them if the use MSG as I doubt it.

:hihi: lovely description that...

"neither of us felt 'over salted or clogged up with fat afterwards"

That's a great accolade for the place.

BTW - it's about as Vietnamese as I am - and I'm from Chesterfield.

MSG or Monosodium Glutamate, to give it its proper name, sure comes in for a bad press eh?

It has been blamed for all kinds of things but the truth is it is harmless and safe and is a flavour-enhancer which makes food more tasty without the need to add salt.

It is naturally occurring as well - so the chances of avoiding it altogether are rather slim. But, you can avoid restaurants who use it in too great a quantity, although the only way you're going to know that really is by eating there in the first place. Unless they proclaim that they don't use MSG - and I don't know any in this area that claim that.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time and effort trying to seek out non-MSG places. I'd let your tongue be the judge of that and go to a better standard of restaurant than the noodle shacks on London road and you should be fine.

Archived