How much longer does Clegg have.

His constituents, you mean? The vote for who should be PM involves only Government MPs, in reality.

You know as well as anyone a lot of people end up voting for a particular party because of the party leader at the time.

I'm no great fan of Clegg, but I think he deserves credit for inviting the owner of Reeves furniture store to the closing event of the Olympics, along with Basak Kartal, who had to barricade herself in her cafe / bookshop during last years riots.

This contrasts sharply with the man lots of people are talking about as the next Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, who invited Rupert 'dirty digger' Murdoch.

I like Clegg,but i wouldn't vote for the Lib dems.

There a number of Lib Dems I do actually quite like, but Nick Clegg (and indeed pretty much all of the "Orange Book" faction of the Lib Dems he belongs to) I don't like at all.

Give me somebody like Norman Baker or Bob Russell over Nick Clegg any day.

There was a piece in the Guardian about this the other day:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/09/libe-dems-stronger-cameron-needs-clegg?commentpage=1#start-of-comments

I think Clegg will be fine, neither party will risk the coalition at this stage, so it'll take a year at least for the coalition to slide to a point of disaster, should that happen. Then it's another 6 months to an election, and the Lib Dems won't want a change of leader so close. Worst case he goes as leader after the election in about 2 years time, but he won't lose his seat.

Of course, the electability or otherwise of Nick and the Lib Dems depends very much on the quality of the opposition. Despite the rabid vitriol of the far left on this forum, the Labour party have totally failed to design any policies beyond a general 'we wouldn't have done it like this (except yes, you're quite right those were our plans for cuts)', and a set of policies even resembling a credible opposition, let alone an electable manifesto are still a pipe dream.

If, or until, Labour can actually come up with a credible plan they'll be totally un-electable in a general election and where the idea that Labour might be the biggest party at the next GE have come from is anyone's guess, though I'm sure they're not living on the same planet as the rest of us.

When Milliband goes up against Clegg and Cameron under the scrutiny of an election spot light, he'll be found wanting, whilst removed from the constriaints of Coalition, Clegg will seem a much better option.

Archived