Should the Olympics change school sports?

We've heard numerous times that UK sport is in crisis and the Olympics should be a catalyst for improving our schools sports. But do we?

The UK is 3rd in the medal rankings behind both the most sport crazed nation and the most populous nation.

When you look at the number of medals we have won and then compare that to our population, we are doing extremely well.

China 1 medal per 18,412,740

USA 1 medal per 4,451,313

UK 1 medal per 1,305,021

So, if we have won more medals per head of population than both the USA and China, do we need to change anything? I'm not sure we do.

We've heard numerous times that UK sport is in crisis and the Olympics should be a catalyst for improving our schools sports. But do we?

The UK is 3rd in the medal rankings behind both the most sport crazed nation and the most populous nation.

When you look at the number of medals we have won and then compare that to our population, we are doing extremely well.

China 1 medal per 18,412,740

USA 1 medal per 4,451,313

UK 1 medal per 1,305,021

So, if we have won more medals per head of population than both the USA and China, do we need to change anything? I'm not sure we do.

Using the above calculation, we as a nation would be way down the medal table.

Just because we are currently sitting pretty, doesn't mean we should take our foot of the pedal. There's always room for improvement and if sport can be further promoted on the back of these games, brilliant. We might just win more medals in Rio.

I think we really do need to change things. Medals mean the best of the best are good at sport nothing else. We have far too many fat kids and not enough sports available to adults (in my eyes).

Im not sure the number of medals matters at all! If we came 4th in everything that would be good!

Using the above calculation, we as a nation would be way down the medal table.

Should we? Which countries would be above the UK?

I'm not saying we should be at the top, but your reply (in less then 3 minutes) to mine, I cant see how you have calculated this to prove your claim.

Should we? Which countries would be above the UK?

I'm not saying we should be at the top, but your reply (in less then 3 minutes) to mine, I cant see how you have calculated this to prove your claim.

It was on the news this morning-but I can't remember the number. I think we might have been 12th?

behind cyprus? and other small countries

It was on the news this morning-but I can't remember the number. I think we might have been 12th?

behind cyprus? and other small countries

Exactly, there are countries with a better medal to population ration than ours. I too heard the same report, hence my speedy response.

Example: Grenada. 1 gold medal and a population of 110,000.

Sport should be changing and improving all the time. To coin the phrase "you snooze, you lose".

Its not so much making kids play lots of different sports, IMO, its having the talent with organisations that can Spot the talent of the next generation.... and then having the facilities and funding to encourage that child to take up that sport.

I think you cant just say, oh, well let them try fencing, or Archery at school, its the whole foundation of sport that needs development to drive us to be better stronger and faster in 2016

Archived