Should the Olympics change school sports?

Exactly. Children should be given access to a number of sports, not just the mainstream. If that means increasing PE sessions then so be it.

Agreed, but if we're talking about in school, something else will have to give. Taster sessions in other sports rather than just football, with some sort of talent spotting referal route would be good.

We need kids to get away from the thought that football is the beginning and end of sport. There is so much more out there.

It was on the news this morning-but I can't remember the number. I think we might have been 12th?

behind cyprus? and other small countries

not true, we would be behind lots of small countries but ahead of countries like the USA and China! and many other countries that are by far more populous than the UK.

Does anyone on here have any first hand recent experience of sport in school, or is it all just generalisation based on what PE was like at school for them 20 or 30 years ago, or some spurious link to a full curriculum?

My local school does track and field, archery and lots of other non-mainstream sports, they're trialled during normal PE lessons and if the kids like it they can do it as an after school activity at 3pm or on Saturday mornings.

When I went to Beaver Hill school in the 80s I was taught sailing and windsurfing.

not true, we would be behind lots of small countries but ahead of countries like the USA and China! and many other countries that are by far more populous than the UK.

what do you mean not true?:huh: I said I wasn't sure of the number but based on population we are well down the table.

http://simon.forsyth.net/olympics.html

16th according this potentially dodgy website

probably less dodgy one here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/interactive/2012/aug/07/olympics-2012-alternative-medal-table-visualised?newsfeed=true

12th!

Does anyone on here have any first hand recent experience of sport in school, or is it all just generalisation based on what PE was like at school for them 20 or 30 years ago, or some spurious link to a full curriculum?

My local school does track and field, archery and lots of other non-mainstream sports, they're trialled during normal PE lessons and if the kids like it they can do it as an after school activity at 3pm or on Saturday mornings.

When I went to Beaver Hill school in the 80s I was taught sailing and windsurfing.

Yes, a few of my friends are PE teachers.

At the comp.school I went to in the 70's we did,or could do,football,rugby,cricket,athletics,hockey,canoeing ,sailing,swimming,basketball/netball,climbing,tennis and a few more..this was just at a common or garden comprehensive...the comp my kids went to just a few years ago had an equally wide range of sports available...

what do you mean not true?:huh: I said I wasn't sure of the number but based on population we are well down the table.

The UK would be behind Cyprus, by a small margin, but we would be ahead of other small countries, Lithuania for example. We would also be ahead of many larger countries too. Your comments were disingenuous at best.

Small countries are always going to throw off statistics and I'm sure someone who is much better versed at explaining how in most statistical studies you do not count the likes of Cyprus as they are of such a small significance, they skew the results.

The UK would be behind Cyprus, by a small margin, but we would be ahead of other small countries, Lithuania for example. We would also be ahead of many larger countries too. Your comments were disingenuous at best.

How???? As I said I didn't know where we would have been:huh:

I wasn't suggesting that any country smaller than us would have more medals. There are some crazies on this here forum aren't there!

How???? As I said I didn't know where we would have been:huh:

I wasn't suggesting that any country smaller than us would have more medals. There are some crazies on this here forum aren't there!

you focused on small countries and failed to mention how we are ahead of other smaller countries too. you are not representing the data fairly.

you focused on small countries and failed to mention how we are ahead of other smaller countries too. you are not representing the data fairly.

yes I was, I never remotely suggested that we were behind all small countries:hihi: I said I thought we were 12th behind cyprus and other small countries.

gotta be the most obvious pot calling kettle black post by the way!

Archived