Should the Olympics change school sports?

Guest sibon
Well beeing competitive in sport was in the instincts of my old school, and lots of people I know had PE teachers that were the antithesis of the stereotypical 'wooley left wingers'.

Do you think it's just right wing columnists that had politically correct, wooly minded PE teachers, or as I suspect that they are just smearing and lying as per usual.

I'm a school teacher and a bit of a leftie, by inclination. However, I always like to instil a bit of fighting spirit into my students. After all, it simply wouldn't do to let those Tory gits steal a march on my kids. :)

I'm a school teacher and a bit of a leftie, by inclination. However, I always like to instil a bit of fighting spirit into my students. After all, it simply wouldn't do to let those Tory gits steal a march on my kids. :)

Glad to hear it Sibon ;)

Well beeing competitive in sport was in the instincts of my old school, and lots of people I know had PE teachers that were the antithesis of the stereotypical 'wooley left wingers'.

Do you think it's just right wing columnists that had politically correct, wooly minded PE teachers, or as I suspect that they are just smearing and lying as per usual.

As it happens I went to firth Park school when John Sherwood was a teacher there; with the likes of him there you would think that that school would be big in sport, but that school had problems and the PE teachers, including him, found themselves doing maths and history lessons, covering for teachers that were not not there for whatever reason.

This coalition government slashed £162 million from the schools sport budget almost as soon as they came to power.

Competitive sport, elite athletes and finding Britain's future Olympians is only one side of the story though.

Surely the greater problem/challenge is those children that do no physical exercise whatsoever. We are building up greater problems for the future, for the health service and social care budgets if money is solely targeted at future medal prospects. Sport should be fun and everyone, no matter how good they are, should have the opportunity to participate in it.

This coalition government slashed £162 million from the schools sport budget almost as soon as they came to power.

Actually the article says it plans to slash funding. Do you have any links which states it actually went ahead?

This article from January 2012 details £1 billion of funding:

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/news/2012/01/11/1bn-funding-for-new-school-sports-clubs/

Every secondary school in England is to host a community sports club as part of a new government plan to inspire more children to take up sport.

The plans are part of a new £1bn strategy which aims to get more young people involved in sport at grassroots level – a legacy pledge in the UK’s 2012 Olympic bid

The fact that a massive percentage of olympic success has come from those with a public school background, even though private schools only educate 7% of the population, is an indictment on the state schools in this country; and Its not just about money and facilities either, being competitive in sport just isn't in the instincts of the wooley left wingers that run state schools.

it might also be down to scholarships!

One of the biggest problems with grass roots sport is the funding/red tape that strangles the life out of it.

We saw an example on Newsnight a couple of days ago when a thriving boxing club (well attended) was under threat of going to the wall due to lack of money. This particular club had a former British Champion training at its club as well.

When we tried to get funding for mats at one of the venues I run sessions at, although the activity (Martial Arts) was aimed at the local children/youths, we were refused funding because I (the instructor) did not live in that area. So on that basis, we were refused funding for mats.

The trouble when you throw money at something, sports in this thread, is that it will create lots of non jobs for people whos role it will be to implement rules to stop grass routes sport from getting off the ground.

One of the things that would help grass routes would be to redirect the funding. So for example, if a grass roots martial arts club/boxing club/sports club needs premises, then the funding should go into paying the room rent fees.

If a local martial arts class had free room rents (£18 an hour as an example), pay the instructor £18, or pay the church and then allow the instructor to run the session risk free. You could list other examples, the cost for football clubs to run their sessions on local parks goes up, so why not use the money and pay the local football club the park rent?

Surely its cheaper and more productive to grass roots sport to pay room rents, park fees the rent money than paying a diversity officer 40k per annum to look up ways to attracting more midget, pigme, mixed race people to take up basketball?

Many schools are also reluctant to allow activitys in their premises that are classed as 'private businesses'. Again, anything that is funded is unviable the moment it needs funding to run, because as soon as the money is unavailable (funding), the sports club has to meet the full rent costs and of course the activity has to go up to a more realistic price - which puts people off. If someone has been paying 50p for dance classes and when the funding runs out, it then has to go up to £5 - do you think people paying 50p for an activity will suddenly pay £5? remember, when it comes to funded activitys, we are not talking about the same client group that pays silly money for activitys

Archived