Should the Olympics change school sports?

Cameron's latest:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/aug/10/david-cameron-school-sports-targets

God forbid that children might end up doing PE from their own culture that they enjoy. I'm wondering what Cameron's list of prescribed sports would be.

Indian dance isn't what people have in mind as "sport" though is it?

I wouldn't put it past the lefty local authorities to have kids doing Indian or Mindanao dancing instead of athletics and gymnastics.

I wouldn't put it past the lefty local authorities to have kids doing Indian or Mindanao dancing instead of athletics and gymnastics.

No and I wouldn't put it past a right wing slimeball of a PM or his emissaries to smear his opponents while basking in the glory of the efforts of the Olympic athletes.

Physical education doesn't just have to be sport. Anything that gets kids active is good.

Physical education doesn't just have to be sport. Anything that gets kids active is good.

If Indian dancing was being done seperately to proper sport activity then fine, but I'd be a bit miffed if Indian dancing was taking away from, or even being done instead of proper sports.

If Indian dancing was being done seperately to proper sport activity then fine, but I'd be a bit miffed if Indian dancing was taking away from, or even being done instead of proper sports.

I thought the Tories stood for 'choice'? Or is choice only allowed when the governemnt can dictate what the options are?

EDIT: Its worth pointing out that dance activities are already a requirement of KS2. Dippy Dave is talking out of his anus, as per.

What are proper sports? What about kids who don't like sports, how are they engaged? What if Cameron's ideal of competitive sport excludes all other forms of PE like dance, movement etc...?

That said, I would like to see some evidience that Cameron's Indian dance problem is widespread. I very much doubt it.

Archived