Best ISP?

This is not a poll more of a request for suggestions really.

I've just got my folks a secondhand laptop so that they can join the internet age but I'm wondering which ISP to suggest?

I think initially they will be just dipping their toes in the water so to speak, so I think a pay as you go might be best to start off with.

They're going to be on a dial up connection and know very little about computers. So I want a cheap and easy to understand ISP.

My personal feelings are that I was going to suggest BT as that's who I'm with. I've tried AOL before and don't like the fact that it seems to take over your whole machine. I've never tried freeserve.

Suggestions?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1317&highlight=internet+provider

That link should help you - it has a poll and about 30 replies. I'm sure there are some other related threads that you can find via the search feature. If you are interested in ADSL then check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk - they have more reviews/comparisons than you could possibly ever want!

My first free ISP came when I opened an Egg account. They were pretty reliable, you only paid for local calls and very rarely did it go off line. I still use the free email accounts that came with it. I also have a free one from Waterstones, ditto free service. I still use the W one as a backup dial up for the extremely rare occasion when Plus Net goes off line. Might be worth checking if either are still available.

Originally posted by GazB

PlusNet- Very reliable (one of the best in the country) and Sheffield based! £25 a month for a 512KB ADSL connection. Good stuff.

£21.99 if you install the router yourself.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by GazB

£25 is EasyStart, you get the ADSL modem (it's not a router!) free, free connection etc.

£25 is definitely the easiest and cheapest option.

Apologies, modem not router. When I took out the package it was £70 for modem and connection so after 24 months it'll turn out cheaper.:thumbsup:

Archived