Let down tradesman

How are you contacting them? If you leave messages on here they may not get read for a few days as not everyone comes on every day. Most tradesmen I know will answer thier phone or return voicemails even if they are too busy to do the work at the time. It's common courtesy

Why is it everytime we want a tradesman

Eg mobile mechanic, carpet fitters,plumbers

cctv etc they don't reply is it that there is too

Work out there or are they earning that much

Money that they don't need to work that often

Well... as a contractor myself, I find it's usually that people want a textbook job, using top quality materials, but only want to pay "bargain basement" prices, or even want the job done "off the radar" then still don't want to pay.

OK things are tight all round, but if people want a job done well then the price has to be paid.

I have noticed that a lot of trades people on here

have contact details in their sig

I always make contact by phone rather than waiting for an answer via pm

If anyone requires the services we can offer we would prefer a phone call

as it makes it so much easier to deal with enquiries

Regards

Jan

There do seem to be a whole load of people who just don't turn up to either quote for work or to do the job.

When I needed some tree surgery work doing I called 5 people before I actually found one who would turn up to quote for the work. All of the rest made an appointment and then left me sitting around by myself waiting for them.

From a customer's point of view that is really frustrating, especially bearing in mind the job needed doing and I'd got the money sitting waiting for someone to do it.

There do seem to be a whole load of people who just don't turn up to either quote for work or to do the job.

When I needed some tree surgery work doing I called 5 people before I actually found one who would turn up to quote for the work. All of the rest made an appointment and then left me sitting around by myself waiting for them.

From a customer's point of view that is really frustrating, especially bearing in mind the job needed doing and I'd got the money sitting waiting for someone to do it.

Perhaps they were put off by your manner as I have never been let down in the way you describe but I have been put off by certain customers who are very demandng.

It is a very busy time of year, and to be fair no one wants to work for peanuts.

I've priced jobs that have been declined as too dear, only to be contacted again by the customer because the guys who got the job have left half way through because they had to underprice just to get the work.

I dont get why some tradesmen do this, surely word would get around that they let potential customers down and then loose work. Personaly i couldent sleep at night knowing that i had let someone down and not turned up.

We try and get out to price up a job within two days of any customer ringing for a quote, and start the work within two weeks of the customer accepting the quote and wanting the work doing, no matter how busy we are.

The ''tradesmen'' who dont bother turning up to price jobs up or dont turn up to do the work should just pack it in and let the rest of us who take our buisness's seriously get the inquiry first.

If we can help with any jobs you need doing we would be more than happy to provide you with a quote.

Thanks, Mike

Perhaps they were put off by your manner as I have never been let down in the way you describe but I have been put off by certain customers who are very demandng.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case, since I've had many years of practice of selling and doing surveys by phone and been told many times that my phone manner is relaxed and approachable.

I think that in the case of the tree surgery the tree surgeons that I contacted didn't want to bother coming out to my house because I had been honest about there only being two trees that needed work doing on them (due to there only two trees in my garden).

What annoyed me is why couldn't they just say that they didn't want the job rather than making an appointment and not bothering to keep it?

I dont get why some tradesmen do this, surely word would get around that they let potential customers down and then loose work. Personaly i couldent sleep at night knowing that i had let someone down and not turned up.

We try and get out to price up a job within two days of any customer ringing for a quote, and start the work within two weeks of the customer accepting the quote and wanting the work doing, no matter how busy we are.

The ''tradesmen'' who dont bother turning up to price jobs up or dont turn up to do the work should just pack it in and let the rest of us who take our buisness's seriously get the inquiry first.

If we can help with any jobs you need doing we would be more than happy to provide you with a quote.

Thanks, Mike

That is a fair comment, however with the "rogue traders" etc programmes on tv, it seems to me that nobody EVER adresses the "rogue customers" who let you do a good job, then still don't want to pay.

Over the years I have had people who just do not want to pay when the job has been done.

(admittedly they are MOSTLY companies rather than idividuals in my case) but I'm sure it happens all to often in the "domestic" sector too.

Archived