Let down tradesman

That is a fair comment, however with the "rogue traders" etc programmes on tv, it seems to me that nobody EVER adresses the "rogue customers" who let you do a good job, then still don't want to pay.

Over the years I have had people who just do not want to pay when the job has been done.

(admittedly they are MOSTLY companies rather than idividuals in my case) but I'm sure it happens all to often in the "domestic" sector too.

I totaly get where you are comming from. About 5 years ago we did two 25m lenghs of Seamless Aliminium Guttering on the northern genaral hospital for a company who were working on the hospital and they tried not to pay (got the money in the end though)

We havnt had any person / home owner not pay, like you say its just the massive building contracters.

That is a fair comment, however with the "rogue traders" etc programmes on tv, it seems to me that nobody EVER adresses the "rogue customers" who let you do a good job, then still don't want to pay.

Over the years I have had people who just do not want to pay when the job has been done.

(admittedly they are MOSTLY companies rather than idividuals in my case) but I'm sure it happens all to often in the "domestic" sector too.

I've had the same problem in my line of software development/website work. I think partly because people are used to getting software for free online and see that I don't have the same materials costs as a builder/plumber etc.

I don't have the same costs, but I do have costs! :rant:

Why is it everytime we want a tradesman

Eg mobile mechanic, carpet fitters,plumbers

cctv etc they don't reply is it that there is too

Work out there or are they earning that much

Money that they don't need to work that often

If it's happening more than once with several different tradesmen I suggest the fault lies with the customer or (if it's for a return visit) their home. Also, there are many tradesmen who won't work in certain areas of the city and only operate in the "posh" areas.

I've avoided several unstable/overbearing crazies and hovelled dwellings in my time. It's not that I have far too much work on that I can afford to pick and choose, it's just that some jobs aren't worth doing.

Ps- it can't possibly be that with you though because your forum manner seems very "relaxed and approachable" :D so maybe it's just bad luck.

Well... as a contractor myself, I find it's usually that people want a textbook job, using top quality materials, but only want to pay "bargain basement" prices, or even want the job done "off the radar" then still don't want to pay.

OK things are tight all round, but if people want a job done well then the price has to be paid.

If the tradesmen never reply or don't turn up (as in the OP) how do they know what the job is?

I'd be very surprised if that was the case, since I've had many years of practice of selling and doing surveys by phone and been told many times that my phone manner is relaxed and approachable.

I think that in the case of the tree surgery the tree surgeons that I contacted didn't want to bother coming out to my house because I had been honest about there only being two trees that needed work doing on them (due to there only two trees in my garden).

What annoyed me is why couldn't they just say that they didn't want the job rather than making an appointment and not bothering to keep it?

Perhaps the FSC logo and flag in your garden put them off?Its nice to know you have a good phone manner-people usually compliment me on the clarity of my diction and my concise presentation.Fancy opening a call centre for approved tradesmen?

I've had the same problem in my line of software development/website work. I think partly because people are used to getting software for free online and see that I don't have the same materials costs as a builder/plumber etc.

I don't have the same costs, but I do have costs! :rant:

As you say you don't have the same costs as say a plumber but in your line of work people are paying for your expertise. It takes time and expense gaining the knowledge to develop software and web design, people should realise they are paying for what you know.

Why is it everytime we want a tradesman

Eg mobile mechanic, carpet fitters,plumbers

cctv etc they don't reply is it that there is too

Work out there or are they earning that much

Money that they don't need to work that often

Tell me about it, I've lost count of the number of trades I've commissioned to do work. They quote, you say yes, they say they'll start next week... never see 'em again.

Archived