Walking - can anyone recommend suitable walks for beginner?

I would like to start walking on a more serious level and although I enjoy getting out and about, am looking for suitable walks for a novice ie I don't even own a pair of walking boots as yet!

Can anyone recommend any nice flat walks (don't mind the odd small hill but nothing too strenuous) of say about 5 miles just to get me started?

Also for future reference, what do I need to know about walking boots as I know absolutely nothing at all and would like to do some homework before buying any? Any advice gratefully received.

All areas considered.

Thanks.

Hi adventurer,

I run a sports and social club that goes out on fortnightly walks usually 6 to 8 miles - but at a moderate pace. We either use public transport to the start or share cars, and usually start around 11 on Sundays. You'd be more than welcome to join us. (No fee on the day, other than shared petrol costs or bus/train fares and membership is only necessary if you join the full network of activities).

You can pay as much as you want for boots - the important thing is a snug fit. Most boots will be up to the job of moderate walking in the hills. I prefer leather as I find this is easier to clean - I paid £25 for mine at Yeoman's. They are a great fit but only when I wear 2 pair of socks - this stops my feet moving around and getting sore on the souls of my feet.

I know someone who paid £180 for a nice pair of high tech breathable boots with modern fabric. Great for letting people know you've got money, but a pain to keep clean!

Hope you get kitted out soon. PM me if you'd like to join the SpurIntoAction Boots & Beer walks - Bonsall Sun 15th, Curbar Edge Sun 29th.

Dont know what your age is but if you are in your 20's-30's or just young in the mind! try these:

http://www.sheffieldwalkinggroup.org.uk

The new program (feb-may) is due out soon. They have easy walks for beginers right up to hard walks plus weekends away and a social calendar!!!

In fact they are doing the above mentioned Sheffield round walk soon: on Saturday 28th January. See Walks page!

There is a good walk for the beginner, although it may be a little too long dependent upon what you want out of it. It begins at Bingham Park (Near Endcliffe Park), and essentially you can walk through the park and you carry on going until you get to Ringinglow (You cannot go wrong as elements of it are part of the Sheffield Round Walk). Once up at Ringinglow you can either come back on yourself and go back into Sheffield or continue up to Foxhouse, there is a bus to catch on the way back outside the Foxhouse Pub.

All in all the walk is a great one if you get the right day, as it takes in woodland, and then out into the Peaks with great scenery of Sheffield and the Peak District. Nearer towards Foxhouse it becomes a little more austere and exposed so you will need to take with you some waterproofs and warm clothing dependent upon the time of year you go. Hope this is of help. There is always the walk around Lady Bower which is nice and gentle and offers little difficulty for the beginner.

Archived