Walking - can anyone recommend suitable walks for beginner?

Houdkirk Road is a fairly high, fairly flat track. It's actually officially a road so no navigation problems. only problem is it is out and back, I guess that it's about 4 miles there and back.

go to Ringinglow, go off opposite the pub down the road and take the big track that goes straight on when the road goes left. Just keep going on the biggest most straight ahead track you see until you get to a big main road (A625 near the fox house) turm round and go back (maybe to the pub)!

You get great views of sheffield (fog permitting). Just watch those 4x4s.

There are generally quite a few people about on this route so if you get stuck or "navigationally challenged" you will probably be able to get help.

BTW, I would say getting a map and compass and learning to use them would be your best investment. Quite a few clubs could probably help you or you

can go on courses.

I have a friend who would advise you to get fell running shoes instead of boots, he has been up all sorts of mountains in them (in summer). My comment would be that you feet would get wet, and there is little ankle support. Decathlon might be a good place to look for boots; their stuff seems very reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi adventurer,

I run a sports and social club that goes out on fortnightly walks usually 6 to 8 miles - but at a moderate pace. We either use public transport to the start or share cars, and usually start around 11 on Sundays. You'd be more than welcome to join us. (No fee on the day, other than shared petrol costs or bus/train fares and membership is only necessary if you join the full network of activities).

You can pay as much as you want for boots - the important thing is a snug fit. Most boots will be up to the job of moderate walking in the hills. I prefer leather as I find this is easier to clean - I paid £25 for mine at Yeoman's. They are a great fit but only when I wear 2 pair of socks - this stops my feet moving around and getting sore on the souls of my feet.

I know someone who paid £180 for a nice pair of high tech breathable boots with modern fabric. Great for letting people know you've got money, but a pain to keep clean!

Hope you get kitted out soon. PM me if you'd like to join the SpurIntoAction Boots & Beer walks - Bonsall Sun 15th, Curbar Edge Sun 29th.

Hi spinac

I to am interested in joining you.

If you don't know anything about me I usually do a lot of cycling but had my card marked with a recent hospital stay. ( A slow down card ) so rather than get bored out of my mind indoors I want to start walking.

My aim is just to get some fresh air at a moderate pace and I have returned from Meadowhall today with some walking boots, wooly hat and one of them sticks that help you balance on the steeper parts.

I am a complete novice and never walked before so this will be all new to me and ready to start.

I want to start slow so if I don't want to do the full walk I can always divert or head back please remember I'm recovering and don't know my walking potential.

I can share transport as I live close to you.

Let me know a little about your club.

Hi cycleracer,

I see you've already registered online (anyone else - go to http://www.SpurIntoAction.co.uk/SignIn.aspx and click on new members). You can get a lot of info there but basically it's a venture I've started and run part time. I try to run this at minimum cost to be as inclusive as possible and you have the option of contributing to costs by paying a small booking fee for events or becoming a member at £49 pa or £17.50 for 3 months.

We do a range of sports and social activities including badminton, walking, ten pin bowling, meals out, bar nights theatre and cinema trips, comedy nights, weekends away etc. As more people join the network and volunteer hosts organise more activities we will be able to offer a better service with an even wider range of activities at minimum cost.

Most active members are 35+ however there has been quite a bit of interest from 20's and 30's lately and I have a few people considering becoming event coordinators.

Walks

Next walk is Sun 26th Mar from Millers Dale to Dale Head. It's about 6 miles long and there's 2 options to cut this down to about 3 or 4 miles. We do walk at a fairly steady pace and expect to complete the route in about 3 hours. I'll organise car shares nearer the time and if you're around the corner from me I can easily pick you up.

See you soon!

Archived