Lads offering to strim my garden: Enterprising or intimidating?

4 pairs of hands make pretty good rakes. The threat would probably come from within yourself, unless the kids gave something else you haven't divulged..like carrying a knife or TELLING you you need the garden strimming.

3 kids washed my car this weekend, £6. took them 15 mins. They also did 2 neighbors.

Strimming your garden then demanding money would be intimidating..asking is another question.

Just as long as they dont offer to wash the ops car.

I can see the thread now.

"5 Chavs want to wash my car, do they really want to kill me?"

:hihi:

Oh for heavens sake!

Did I at any point say 'I' was intimidated? No! Did I think they were enterprising? Yes. So what are you wittering about?

Just to clarify: They asked me politely if I needed the garden strimming. I politely said no thanks. They accepted this without question and went on their way!

But I did feel they were (as someone else suggested) overstaffed, and it would have been a lot better if they had brought a few other tools with them.

I was just leaving my house yesterday to nip to the shops. A group of 5 lads (around 14 to 15 years of age) were passing by with a petrol strimmer, and a can of petrol. They asked if I wanted my garden strimmed (didn't say how much). I politely declined, as it didn't need doing.

Afterwards, I couldn't make my mind up if it was good that a bunch of lads were trying to make a few quid doing some work (getting off their backsides and actually doing something constructive), or if it was slightly intimidating, with there being 5 of them!

I can remember knocking on doors when I was a kid, with a shovel in the snow asking if people wanted their paths cleared!

What do you think?

I think you should have looked back at your first post.

That way you wouldnt have said this..............

Oh for heavens sake!

Did I at any point say 'I' was intimidated? No! Did I think they were enterprising? Yes. So what are you wittering about?

Just to clarify: They asked me politely if I needed the garden strimming. I politely said no thanks. They accepted this without question and went on their way!

But I did feel they were (as someone else suggested) overstaffed, and it would have been a lot better if they had brought a few other tools with them.

;)

What tools?

They were strimming grass.

All they need is a strimmer and a pair of hands which apparently they had in abundance.

I think you should have looked back at your first post.

That way you wouldnt have said this..............

;)

What tools?

They were strimming grass.

All they need is a strimmer and a pair of hands which apparently they had in abundance.

I stand by everything I said! You're just being pedantic.

Don't forget, I wasn't the only person they asked, and there are some elderly people who live quite close by. I wondered how they would feel?

So in your eyes 5 (15 year old) lads trick or treating on bonfire night is quite acceptable too?

The required tools have been mentioned in earlier posts. How do you know how big my garden is? How would you know that raking up strimmings isn't feasible in my garden with your bare hands, no matter how many hands there are?

I stand by everything I said! You're just being pedantic.

Don't forget, I wasn't the only person they asked, and there are some elderly people who live quite close by. I wondered how they would feel?

So in your eyes 5 (15 year old) lads trick or treating on bonfire night is quite acceptable too?

The required tools have been mentioned in earlier posts. How do you know how big my garden is? How would you know that raking up strimmings isn't feasible in my garden with your bear hands, no matter how many hands there are?

I can remember washing cars when I was 16. Knocked on a guys door, he told me to get a job. Oh the Irony.

With only 1 strimmer between 5 of them they are a bit over staffed and perhaps intimidating. If they had a strimmer each they'd look more professional and less intimidating maybe.

Or they're a group of friends at a loose end so they thought they'd try and earn some pocket money.

What time of day was it, if under 16 they could have been breaking employment laws.

Were they registered with HMRC?

Etc. etc.

who cares...not the lads...send them round...i need my hedge trimming...where was this...

used to do the windows back in the day...only window cleaners that knocked off when the boozer opened...happy days...

who cares...not the lads...send them round...i need my hedge trimming...where was this...

used to do the windows back in the day...only window cleaners that knocked off when the boozer opened...happy days...

Ignore him, 5 years from now when they're homeless and unemployed he'll be fighting their corner.

Archived