What is Atheism?

What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

What is it that I need to prove wrong exactly that you have supposedly proven right?

I'm not claiming to be right, I'm simply asking you to defend the statement you made in #54, which I copied for you in #93.

I hear this throwaway remark often, and it annoys me because it is just seems like a veiled request to shut up and repeated without much thought.

I'm asking you to think about it, examine it, and provide evidence, with the hope that you'll either convince me or not say it again.

I've told you how you could convince me in #87.

I'm not claiming to be right, I'm simply asking you to defend the statement you made in #54, which I copied for you in #93.

I hear this throwaway remark often, and it annoys me because it is just seems like a veiled request to shut up and repeated without much thought.

I'm asking you to think about it, examine it, and provide evidence, with the hope that you'll either convince me or not say it again.

I've told you how you could convince me in #87.

But you're asking me to provide evidence on the premise that I'm suggesting all atheists hold a particular point of view, like I had painted a definitive characteristic of an atheist, which is false.

If you want me to prove that all atheists think and/or behave in a particular way, you need to first prove where I suggested that. As I didn't suggest that, and you cannot prove I suggested that because I didn't suggest that, it makes your request for proof irrelevant and unintelligible.

But you're asking me to provide evidence on the premise that I'm suggesting all atheists hold a particular point of view, which is false.

If you want me to prove that all atheists think and/or behave in a particular way, you need to first prove where I suggested that. As I didn't suggest that, and you cannot prove I suggested that because I didn't suggest that, it makes your request for proof irrelevant and unintelligible.

I fear I might be repeating myself but here is your statement again:

"I can't help but think atheists who vigirously attack and mock a believer with the aim on convincing them to the atheist point of view is not only a pointless and futile task, they're ironically engaged in the sort of behaviours they so dislike of the religious types"

You just have to show me that there are indeed some atheists that try to convince religious people of their point of view, but dislike it when they hear religious people try to convince them of theirs.

I'm very doubtful. Loud, robust argument continues because atheists and non-religious theists and theologians find it interesting, they don't dislike it, they love it. The only people that don't like it are people who don't want to change their minds.

Prove me wrong.

That's not really an explanation. Are all your lessons this cryptic?

I do prefer to encourage people to think for themselves.

Have another look at the post after mine; the one you replied to; the one Chris wrote.

Archived