57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

Let's get one thing sorted firstly.

This thread is nothing to do with aliens so why bring them into it?[/Quote]

It was a demonstraition that your position was incorrect, a simile, a parable, an example.

Right, there is not never been any proof that a god exists.

Ok so far?[/Quote]

Yup

Athieism means that someone doesn't believe in god.

Ok, still with me?[/Quote]

Nope, atheism is the lack of belief in God, different to someone doesn't believe in God, that is anti Theism.

If someone actively doesn't believe in God it is a positive position, they are saying God definately doesn't exist. They need to provide evidence for this position.

Now, if someone doesn't believe in god, how can they then believe that there could be a god?

Do you see?[/Quote]

They can't, they are polar ends of the scale, but your position lies on atheism meaning someone actively not believing in God, which is different to a lack of belief.

One goes with the other, if you don't believe in god, whatever a god is, then you can't believe there can be one.

It doesnt matter if there is a god or if there is ten gods, without proving that a god exists, atheists are still going to believe what they do.

No one is ever going to prove that there is a god, they can't.

Your making the assumption that no one can ever prove God exists, however unlikely that is not true.

Someone may prove God. If they do, the person, who in your words 'can't believe there is one will be in hot water and probably explode from thinking too much!

It was a demonstraition that your position was incorrect, a simile, a parable, an example.

Yup

Nope, atheism is the lack of belief in God, different to someone doesn't believe in God, that is anti Theism.

If someone actively doesn't believe in God it is a positive position, they are saying God definately doesn't exist. They need to provide evidence for this position.

They can't, they are polar ends of the scale, but your position lies on atheism meaning someone actively not believing in God, which is different to a lack of belief.

Your making the assumption that no one can ever prove God exists, however unlikely that is not true.

Someone may prove God. If they do, the person, who in your words 'can't believe there is one will be in hot water and probably explode from thinking too much!

Ok, we're not going to agree on what atheism means.

But how can anyone EVER prove there is a god, what do YOU believe would prove beyond doubt that there is a god?

You do seem to like nosing in threads and trying to say people are wrong

You're probably correct there, though I would dispute these two suggestions:

just trying to cause arguments despite not actually being interested in the threads itself

Fortunately, though, you seem to like posting masses of uninformed, poorly argued drivel so I guess there's a place for both of us on this discussion forum.

atheism is not a "a lack in the belief of god". A "lack" suggests something is missing. An atheist is someone who does not believe in a god. They don't "lack" belief or "believe" there is no god.

The "lack" of belief definition is used by religious people to belittle atheists by suggesting they are wrong.

atheism is not a "a lack in the belief of god".

Yes it is.

A "lack" suggests something is missing.

Yes, belief in a god.

An atheist is someone who does not believe in a god.

1 correct out of 4.

They don't "lack" belief or "believe" there is no god.

Yes they do.

Ok, we're not going to agree on what atheism means.

But how can anyone EVER prove there is a god, what do YOU believe would prove beyond doubt that there is a god?

How could anyone prove the Earth was round?

How could anyone ever prove the Earth wasn't the centre of the universe?

I have no idea, like those in tha past had no idea, but that doesn't mean it wont happen just because I can'r conceive it.

atheism is not a "a lack in the belief of god". A "lack" suggests something is missing. An atheist is someone who does not believe in a god. They don't "lack" belief or "believe" there is no god.

The "lack" of belief definition is used by religious people to belittle atheists by suggesting they are wrong.

No it's not, that's just silly.

As far as I'm aware out of all of us arguing this definition there is only me that is religious, and i am an atheist, so that remark is clearly wrong.

No it's not, that's just silly.

As far as I'm aware out of all of us arguing this definition there is only me that is religious, and i am an atheist, so that remark is clearly wrong.

That was my point. I don't "lack belief in a god" any more than I "lack belief that pigs fly".

Now, if someone doesn't believe in god, how can they then believe that there could be a god?

Hiya Skirmisher.

I know this has been addressed by others but since it's pretty much the crux of the matter I'll have a go too.

It's all about open mindedness, isn't it? It's easy for the open minded to believe, or not believe, anything but be able to accept the possibility that they could be shown to be wrong.

Putting it that way, it seems the logical position for everyone to take on every issue, doesn't it?

Using a simple example, I believe it to be true that dodos are extinct but, if someone shows up with a live dodo today then I'm going to have to change my opinion, sharpish. I know, right now that that's most unlikely but, as a thinking person, I can't adopt the position that I believe dodos are extinct and there is no way anyone could ever prove me wrong.

I am, therefore, an agnostic a' dodoist.

Trouble is though, and this thread is a perfect example, people are being "shown a dodo" with great regularity and are, remarkably, still able to deny their existence. This fascinates me.

Archived