What is Atheism?

What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

There are actual methods that can establish the roundness (or otherwise) of the Earth.

For example, a snapshot from a satelite.

Prior to the invention of satalites, that couldn't be done of course, but even then, it was imaginable/conceivable that if an object could be put in orbit, it would be able to assess the shape of the Earth.

What conceivable/imaginable experiment could ever prove that God exists to the standard that would satisfy scientists?

IMO, there are none.

If, for example, a ultra powerful being appeared who was able to perform 'miracles' like parting oceans, levitating, manifesting storms etc and claimed to be God: in that scenario it's equally possible that he/she would simply just be a very powerful being, or a technologicaly super-advanced alien entity.

Can you think of a possible occurance, or experiment, that would establish beyond doubt that God exists?

Not personally, but then again regarding your example only a small number would be able to concieve such an experiment in the past.

My point was that it is possible that in the future God may be proved, how it is done is beyond me, I can barely believe man can send probes into space with the accuracy they do because it's far beyond my knowledge to do so.

I completely disagree with your definition. I would say someone that does not know what they believe has a "lack of belief".

Someone who definitely does not believe is not "lacking" belief they "do not believe".

I agree, not sure where you got that from.

Someone who definately does not believe is an anti theist according to my definition.

You just agreed with me?!?!? :confused:

I agree, not sure where you got that from.

Someone who definately does not believe is an anti theist according to my definition.

You just agreed with me?!?!? :confused:

I am not anti-theist I am an atheist. I would not say I am against gods nor do I lack gods, I am without gods.

atheism is not a "a lack in the belief of god". A "lack" suggests something is missing. An atheist is someone who does not believe in a god. They don't "lack" belief or "believe" there is no god.

The "lack" of belief definition is used by religious people to belittle atheists by suggesting they are wrong.

It doesn't suggest to me that something is missing, it just means without. I'm quite happy to be described as lacking belief, I don't find it belittling. Some may interpret it as a merit.

I'd just like to state once more for those (not you llama) who don't understand the position, I don't believe in any gods but that doesn't mean that I believe there are no gods.

It doesn't suggest to me that something is missing, it just means without. I'm quite happy to be described as lacking belief, I don't find it belittling. Some may interpret it as a merit.

I'd just like to state once more for those (not you llama) who don't understand the position, I don't believe in any gods but that doesn't mean that I believe there are no gods.

I am not offended by the use of the word "lack", I do feel its used in a willfully misleading definition designed by theists to suggest that they should pity atheists. Thats my problem with it!

I have a problem with this word, I am sure others do also. So why use it? Use "absence" instead as it is less emotive. The fact is theists like using that word!

bold: agreed, there is nothing for me to believe or not believe in.

I find Atheism to be just as absurd as Theism.

I'm thinking of something, nobody knows what it is, it could be real, it may be not.

This something, nobody knows what it is, there is no definition, do you believe in it or not?

More importantly, why give it any thought, one way or the other?

I am not anti-theist I am an atheist. I would not say I am against gods nor do I lack gods, I am without gods.

Do you definately not believe in God?

Or do you lack a belief in God?

If it's the first can you provide evidence that there is definately no God?

I do feel its used in a willfully misleading definition designed by theists to suggest that they should pity atheists. Thats my problem with it![/Quote]

But it's a problem your creating for yourself, there are no theists here arguing that meaning for the word Atheist.

I'm not sure how you think it's designed by theists?

I find Atheism to be just as absurd as Theism.

I'm thinking of something, nobody knows what it is, it could be real, it may be not.

This something, nobody knows what it is, there is no definition, do you believe in it or not?

More importantly, why give it any thought, one way or the other?

giving it no thought because there is no reason to, or thinking about it and deciding there is no reason to believe are both atheist positions. Your point doesn't make sense:huh:

Do you definately not believe in God?

Or do you lack a belief in God?

If it's the first can you provide evidence that there is definately no God?

But it's a problem your creating for yourself, there are no theists here arguing that meaning for the word Atheist.

I'm not sure how you think it's designed by theists?

I feel the same as I do about flying pigs and the spaghetti monster. Why on earth would I believe in a god? It is not something I even need to consider and I really honesty and truly never did consider it. Even going to a church of england school and learning bible stories at a very young age they were less real to me than Roald Dahl stories.

I guess roald dahl made things more realistic than the bible writers. Witches that looked normal and lived among you are far more believable than a ship that could carry two of every species. If I was marking the bible I would have suggested they came up with more realistic stories!

I definitely don't believe in a god. Which is not the same as believing there is no god. It is not something that needs to be proved.

Archived