What is Atheism?

What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

I lacked a knowledge of stars, I could see them ...

If you could see them then you didn't lack knowledge. You knew something about them, if only that they were little lights in the sky. You still knew something, even if it was limited.

your will never discover the truth

The truth being what?

I asked for a post I wrote on the atheist worstnightmare thread to be posted here as I can't copyand paste with the thing I'm using.. Could someone paste the post I wrote on realising was infact an atheist in denial instead of calingmyself agnostic

1. This is gonna get heavy! All concepts are from an original position of lack of belief. When we are babies we experience but don't attatch to concepts. When the identity of 'self' begins to develope and concepts are introduced we then start to believe things, or in things.

2. I don't really understand this question, I don't! I can't describe the wind, I can describe it's effects but not the wind itself but I still believe in it because I can see its effects. Not being able to describe something doesn't mean we can't believe in it, and is not a prerequisite for lack of belief.

3. I could have done, I still may do, but experiencing a concept without knowledge of what that concept is would still leave a default position of lack of belief in that concept. If I did later recognise that what I had felt was the particular concept I could then ascribe a position of belief to it - but until that time I would still have a default position of lack of belief, even if I experienced it every day, it is the recognition that makes us believe not the experience of a concept.

As above, I lacked belief in the concept of stars. At that point if someone had approached me and said 'Do you believe in stars' without any description I would have said 'no', even if I had been stood right underneath them. Only when the concept is introduced can I make an active decision to believe.

So if a Muslim says do you believe in God, and I have no concept of the Islamic God, then my default position would be no. If they then gave me the criteria for that God, I could then make an informed decision, either 'Yes' (Theism), 'No' (anti Theism) or 'I don't know' Atheism/agnosticism. If I say I don't know I merely lack belief, I don't actively disbelieve.

They don't know the essence of God but claim to know his effects, I can base a belief on the evidence they give me.

That doesn't really work though as I already know a table exists, if I knew God existed I wouldn't suddenly change my mind because someone said he might not.

Yup. Just like France, before I have the concept 'France' I don't believe, but when I do have the concept and decide it exists it's still only an idea. Until I go there and directly experience it it will remain a peconceived notion.

No. If you presented evidence to me that God existed I would change what my preconcieved idea was.

If my idea of France is stripey t-shirts and onions and bikes and I get their and it's the metro and not a stripey t-shirt in sight I wouldn't simply reject 'France' on that basis, that's silly.

Of course it would, because my idea of what God is may be wrong. See above.

That would imply that because a dolphin lacks a language that it must lack a belief in fish.

God is just a word until it has an agreeable definition it remains just a word. I cannot claim to lack belief in it just because I don't know what it means, just like a dolphin wouldn't lack a belief in fish just because it doesn't know what the word fish means.

If you could see them then you didn't lack knowledge. You knew something about them, if only that they were little lights in the sky. You still knew something, even if it was limited.

The truth being what?

That god is within us and what you see is God in his creation. They isn't god as a man. He is within us all... With atheist you can not come to aconclusion

That would imply that because a dolphin lacks a language that it must lack a belief in fish.

Or that if a cod could fly an aeroplane, it'd buy an apartment in the Costa Brava.

All non-sequiturs sponsored by Fishy-Flakes - for aquatic pets with dandruff.

Archived