What is Atheism?

What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

I find the problem with using the second definition is that it doesn't cover people who fall under the first one. Or, in other words, if you define an atheist as someone who believes there is no God what do you call someone who lacks belief in God?

jb

I never said it was ideal- just that that's the way it is :)

Some consider atheist to mean, 'without belief in god'- others that it means 'believes God to not exist'.

It's not unusual in English that a word has more than one meaning (for example 'drivers' can be car operators or pc device software.

Similarly, in English, Flammable and inflammable both mean capable of burning- which is not only confusing, but, on occasion, downright dangerous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flammability#Linguistics:_flammable_vs._inflammable

Exactly the real meaning as been lost as it's greek, it is not right that atheist is set as default, it really isn't.. But your thought I was mad when I was trying to explain that I did notagree with atheist as a definition but then someone started mentioning the duck test which made me look an idiot when infact i wasent

I was confused while thinking about it and labelled myself agnostic only which infact agnostic and atheist do not exist as it is impossible honestly discuss religion.. I have now found I am indeed an atheist in denial

Loving your work here, G. I particularly like the way you prefaced it with the energy drink nonsense to throw us off the scent for a while.

Class.

The key is you have to challenge the definition of atheist, but you need to believe in what you are doing.. I did this and now ifeel its been unlocked on the true meaning of god.. God is man made, it's not the other way round.. You have to be able to accept that this universe has always been here and they was not a beginning

You distinctly said:

I try not to talk to you. You move your points around like a fussy kid plays with his dinner.

If I could see and touch something, I'd have knowledge of it. Putting a name to that object doesn't enhance my knowledge of it.

No it doesn't, but it allows you to answer the question, do you have a belief in tables. Even before you knew what a table was you believed the object existed because you could touch it and see it, to say you lack a belief in it would be inaccurate.

The question, do you have a belief in tables is a meaningless question unless you know what a table is, because the question was meaningless the answer must also be meaningless. The only meaningful answer to the question is what is a table?

So when someone asks if you believe in God the only meaningful answer is, what is God, and everyone has a different interpretation of the word God. So because I can’t determine which interpretation is correct my answer remains, what is God? I may or may not believe in its existence but until I know what it is. I can neither deny a lack of belief nor accept a belief in God.

Archived