What is Atheism?

What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

There really isn't a great deal of difference. Discribing oneself as ignostic is a way of saying that you cannot describe yourself as atheist/theist as the terms have no meaning until such time as a definition of God is presented.

In simple terms a TCN (and ignostic) hold the view that the proposition "God exists" is meaningless. It follows that theist, and consequently atheist are also meaningless terms. That leaves the only rational position as ignostic.

jb

God: Some unknowable being that possess some unknowable qualities in an unknowable way.

Theist: Someone who believes in an unknowable being with unknowable qualities. :huh:

Atheist: Someone who lacks belief in an unknowable being with unknowable qualities. :huh::loopy:

Agnostic atheist: Someone who lacks belief an unknowable being with unknowable qualities in which is not possible to know anything about. :huh::loopy::loopy:

Agnostic theist:Someone who believes an unknowable being with unknowable qualities in which is not possible to know anything about. :loopy::loopy:

Ignostic: Someone who thinks all of the above are a little bit silly.

But as atheist you would say that because you are set as default by ignorance

I find Atheism to be just as absurd as Theism.

I'm thinking of something, nobody knows what it is, it could be real, it may be not.

This something, nobody knows what it is, there is no definition, do you believe in it or not?

More importantly, why give it any thought, one way or the other?

What does that have to do with atheism?

No one is trolling, when you say that, what your really saying is atheism can not be challenged, but why not... Atheists challenge theists so why can't atheist be challenged by a atheist in denial

It was a joke as the link I posted was to a page about various definitions for atheist/theist and agnostic. If you had bothered to read it you find that far from clearing things up it makes things far far more complicated.

jb

Nope, atheism is the lack of belief in God, different to someone doesn't believe in God, that is anti Theism.

If someone actively doesn't believe in God it is a positive position, they are saying God definately doesn't exist. They need to provide evidence for this position.

I think you are getting a little confused here Rich, in the past you have demonstrated you know the difference so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Someone who actively doesn't believe(??) in God is the same as someone who doesn't believe in God. Both are just the absence of belief. This is not anti-theist, just atheist. They are not saying that God does not exist.

I think you meant to say somebody who actively believes that there is no God. This is a step further than atheism, becoming mild anti-theism.

But in my opinion agnostic is meaningless too as you are trying to find evidence of " god" when really god is inside you

God is blood? God is the ham salad sandwich I've just eaten for lunch? You're going to have to be clearer, what do you mean when you say God is inside me.

jb

Surely if you don't believe in a god then you don't have a belief in god?

Lack means don't have, doesn't it?

I, for instance, don't believe that teeth dissolve in acid. I, therefore, lack that belief. Is this not so?

That's some dangerous belief you have. Do you also lack teeth now?

God is blood? God is the ham salad sandwich I've just eaten for lunch? You're going to have to be clearer, what do you mean when you say God is inside me.

jb

What I am saying is the term " god" is man made and so a mere expression. That is all it is

Archived