What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

Let's get one thing sorted firstly.

This thread is nothing to do with aliens so why bring them into it?

Right, there is not never been any proof that a god exists.

Ok so far?

Athieism means that someone doesn't believe in god.

Ok, still with me?

Now, if someone doesn't believe in god, how can they then believe that there could be a god?

Do you see?

One goes with the other, if you don't believe in god, whatever a god is, then you can't believe there can be one.

It's very simple, somebody who doesn't believe in God is someone who just doesn't have a belief in God. They're not saying God can't exist, or that there is definitely no God. They're just saying that they don't have a belief in God.

If somebody doesn't have a belief in ferrofluid, it doesn't mean they deny it exists. It just means they don't currently believe in it.

-They may never have heard of it and have no reason to believe

-They may have heard of it but remain unconvinced

-They may have heard of it but don't really care enough to form a belief

etc..

You explain it to them and show it to them, give them conclusive proof of it, and they will most likely believe. Same as people who don't believe in God.

If somebody believes that ferrofluid doesn't exist, this is an active belief, a denial. These people might not even accept it if you give them conclusive proof.

But saying that, will I get the term changed to atheism in denial instead of atheism, i very much doubt it, as they are in " charge" the term will stay as atheism

Seeing as you keep going on about it, can you just define your interpretation of the word "atheist in denial" please?

A question for those who didn't choose option one: Lack of belief in God

(sorry for the bold and font size, but I feel this is an important question and I'd like to hear the answers :bigsmile:)

If you think that atheism means option 2-The belief that there is no God, or option 4-Other, for you what category does option 1 (lack of belief in God) fall under?

And can you explain why?

Even though I was dismissed by everyone in the atheists worst nightmare thread and made out to be confused and not grasping what atheism really meant, really spurred me on so I will say thank you to all you atheists for letting me discover what God really is... Thank you all, now you all must carry on searching for god..

(sorry for the bold and font size, but I feel this is an important question and I'd like to hear the answers :bigsmile:)

If you think that atheism means option 2-The belief that there is no God, or option 4-Other, for you what category does option 1 (lack of belief in God) fall under?

And can you explain why?

until the word "lack" is replaced I remain an other!

And can you explain why?

I asked something similar* several pages ago. Didn't get an answer then and I doubt you'll get one now, at least not one that makes any sense anyway.

jb

* I asked if atheist means someone who believes there is no God then what do you call someone who simply lacks belief in God.

Archived