What is Atheism?

What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

Do you have a problem with the Christian advert also?

No. I don't particularly have a problem with the atheist ad campaign either. I just see it as a rather pointless exercise.

Religion is a product. So when a religious group places adverts, they're advertising a product.

But when atheists run an ad, what are they selling? An empty packet of nothing. In terms of brand loyalty, they're not going to win customers away from their existing brand (religion), so it's all rather pointless.

Plus it's rather hypocritical. They obviously couldn't stand the Christian Proselytising. Then they go and do the same.

No. I don't particularly have a problem with the atheist ad campaign either. I just see it as a rather pointless exercise.

Religion is a product. So when a religious group places adverts, they're advertising a product.

But when atheists run an ad, what are they selling? An empty packet of nothing. In terms of brand loyalty, they're not going to win customers away from their existing brand (religion), so it's all rather pointless.

I have never known or seen any atheists campaigning .. Who has been doing this?... But Yeh I agree they selling fresh air basically

So do you think they're too embarrassed or just can't be bothered/don't have time for yet another theist preaching?

With regards to A.B.Yaffle's claim that atheists preach, I've never heard of an atheist going door to door to tell people that they don't believe in God(s).

Most atheists i know keep they're thoughts to themselves,its only on this forum i've been preached to.;)

I had mormons at the door recently,two Americans actually who were very polite,we did chat for a while,but once they realised i held rather different views to their own they didn't seem too impressed.:sad:

They weren't trying to win customers, it was more a reassurance to counter the Christian scare tactics.

Plus it's rather hypocritical. They obviously couldn't stand the Christian Proselytising. Then they go and do the same.

Saying "don't worry" is hardly the same as "you will burn in hell for all eternity".

Most atheists i know keep they're thoughts to themselves,its only on this forum i've been preached to.;)

I had mormons at the door recently,two Americans actually who were very polite,we did chat for a while,but once they realised i held rather different views to their own they didn't seem too impressed.:sad:

So is that theists being too embarrassed to talk about God with other theists ?

Onewheeldave, can you answer the question I asked here?

Originally Posted by RootsBooster View Post

A question for those who didn't choose option one: Lack of belief in God

(sorry for the bold and font size, but I feel this is an important question and I'd like to hear the answers )

If you think that atheism means option 2-The belief that there is no God, or option 4-Other, for you what category does option 1 (lack of belief in God) fall under?

And can you explain why?

But I don't think atheism means option 2- I think in some circumstances it can be opt 1, in others, opt 2.

Neverthless, I can answer the question of "what category does option 1 (lack of belief in God) fall under?".

The most useful thing, IMO, would be to call option 1 'weak atheism' and opt 2 'strong atheism'.

Archived