• What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

I don't believe there is a god.

I believe there isn't a god.

Same thing.

Only 2 possibilities-

1 there IS a God

2 there ISN'T a God

if 1 then "I don't believe there is a god."=no problem & "I believe there isn't a god."=you got that wrong

&, if 2, then "I don't believe there is a god."=no problem & "I believe there isn't a god."=you got it right

that's one difference

They weren't trying to win customers, it was more a reassurance to counter the Christian scare tactics.

Saying "don't worry" is hardly the same as "you will burn in hell for all eternity".

Still contradiction

How so? What part of atheism does it contradict?

See if you can give a thought-out and well presented explanation this time (I dare you) :thumbsup:.

How so? What part of atheism does it contradict?

See if you can give a thought-out and well presented explanation this time (I dare you) :thumbsup:.

It is not a contradiction in terms of the atheism book says thou must not place adverts, but question why did they place the ad? It is because they could not stand the sight of a Christian ad campaign, it rattled their cages so much, they just had to go and do the same thing. There in lies the contradiction.

Before you say they were not the same thing, yes they were. Both running ad campaigns, both trying to get a message across. Only the message differs.

I don't believe there is a god.

I believe there isn't a god.

Same thing.

No it isn't.

The first is ¬belief x.

The second belief ¬x.

Put in the context of Santa. The first is "I don't believe in Santa", which is open to being proven wrong. Santa could exist, but I don't believe he does.

The second is "I believe Santa is made up", which is a much more direct statement. Santa couldn't exist, because we all know reindeers don't fly.

Archived