What is Atheism?

What is athism?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is athism?

• The lack of a belief in God
    • The belief that there is no God
    • What's the difference between 1 & 2?
    • Other (please post below)

It is not a contradiction in terms of the atheism book says thou must not place adverts, but question why did they place the ad? It is because they could not stand the sight of a Christian ad campaign, it rattled their cages so much, they just had to go and do the same thing. There in lies the contradiction.

Before you say they were not the same thing, yes they were. Both running ad campaigns, both trying to get a message across. Only the message differs.

I think you have quite a stereotype in your mind with respect to who "they" are.

I personally know a Christian who donated to the bus campaign, and many of the comments from people who contributed on the Just Giving site were religious people, some even clerics, who agreed that advertising such a fire and brimstone message on buses was a bad idea.

http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/faq/

It is not a contradiction in terms of the atheism book says thou must not place adverts, but question why did they place the ad? It is because they could not stand the sight of a Christian ad campaign, it rattled their cages so much, they just had to go and do the same thing. There in lies the contradiction.

Sorry I've read this several times now and I still can't see the contradiction. What exactly does their action contradict ?

Before you say they were not the same thing, yes they were. Both running ad campaigns, both trying to get a message across. Only the message differs.

...which is quite a big difference. One is trying to recruit through fear, the other is simply saying don't let it worry you.

So is that theists being too embarrassed to talk about God with other theists ?

Well that was different,those mormons were on a mission,i didn't ask them,but i got the impression they were on some kind of ministry to recruit members.I said i liked the Osmond's and that went down quite well, but at one point during the conversation,i said to them,that i didn't think it mattered what demonination christians belonged to,because we were all branches of the same tree including Catholics,they didn't seem to like that remark and then made a hasty departure.

As for theists being embarrassed to talk about God to other theists,i don't think so,but it just isn't the done thing,unless you were some kind of religious fanatic,and in that respect you might be veiwed with some suspician.

Sorry I've read this several times now and I still can't see the contradiction. What exactly does their action contradict ?

Because they openly disliked the fact that a Christian group ran an ad campaign and then did exectly the same thing. Sorry if you still don't understand the contradiction, I can't help you further.

...which is quite a big difference. One is trying to recruit through fear, the other is simply saying don't let it worry you.

The message was different, the method was the same.

Because they openly disliked the fact that a Christian group ran an ad campaign and then did exectly the same thing. Sorry if you still don't understand the contradiction, I can't help you further.

The message was different, the method was the same.

Hehehehehehe

No it isn't.

The first is ¬belief x.

The second belief ¬x.

Put in the context of Santa. The first is "I don't believe in Santa", which is open to being proven wrong. Santa could exist, but I don't believe he does.

The second is "I believe Santa is made up", which is a much more direct statement. Santa couldn't exist, because we all know reindeers don't fly.

In either case, to the person, Santa does not exist.

I don't believe there is a god = NO GOD to the person with this view

I believe there isn't a god = NO GOD to the person with this view

The end result is the same.

Archived