City Vs City San Francisco (USA) Vs Stockholm (Sweden)

Where is nicer, safer, richer place to live  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Where is nicer, safer, richer place to live

• Stockolm Sweden
    • San Franchisco California

Stockholm: Voted the Greenest Country in Europe.

By whom? On what grounds?

Sweden: That 'green' country with the hydroelectric power? - A country which generates 40% of its electricity from nuclear power plants?

(Rather more than most of the 'dirty' non-green rest of Europe.;))

Cloths and Shoes and other luxuries cost more than San Franchisco. Swedes are friendly as well as being sexually liberated. It is not uncommon for them to have more than one partner ebcause they are naughty. People are mistaken thinking they are easy, Stockholmers tend to be extremely educated. Seasonal Weather, when it snows people go skiing etc. Plenty of natural scenery. To be accepeted you have to do things the Swedish way. Don't really know the neighbourhoods in Stockholm but I think Ostermalm has 'rich-town vibe'. I would like to know 'best laidback rich town' is in Stockholm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4AAK2m0Rg&feature=player_embedded

Is this some sort of tourist advert? - If so, 3 out of 10!

It probably is a good idea to wait until it snows before you go skiing - unless, of course, you have either a downhill lake or an artificial ski slope (which the locals do not torch from time-to-time.)

'Stockholmers tend to be extremely educated'? - You can find extremists anywhere.

How tolerant are they? How tolerant are Swedes in general?

If you were a Finnish child attending a Swedish school on the Swedish side of the border between those two countries, would you be happy if you were punished (or just told off) for speaking your own language in the playground at local school?

(My nieces were extremely upset when they were punished for speaking Finnish in a school in Kiruna.) They spoke Finnish, Swedish and English - and they couldn't see why they should be punished for speaking Finnish to ethnic Finns. They felt that the treatment they (and their ethnic Finnish friends) received was racist.

It was.

San Franchisco: Laidback 'rich-town vibel'. They are accepting of all kinds of people and you don't have to 'fit-in'. Nice beaches along the Bay. Renting is higher than Stockholm. Buying properties is about the same compared with Stockholm. Neighbourhoods in San Franchisco

Maybe. I've visited San Francisco (and I enjoyed my visit.) I'm not so sure I would want to live there.

As I said in another post on another thread, there's a world of difference between visiting a place and living there. (And I'm speaking from considerable experience. ;))

You're probably not going to get a definitive answer on this forum. What one person likes (and is prepared to tolerate) may well be significantly different from what another likes and is prepared to tolerate.

If you can, 'try before you buy' - spend a few months in each place before you commit yourself.

Do you have a visa which will allow you to live in the US? If so, make sure it allows you to do what you want to do - and make sure that the 'small print' can't come back to bite you on the bum!

Under what terms and conditions are you being invited to live and work in Sweden? Swedes pay huge amounts in social and other taxes to provide for care in old age, healthcare, unemployment insurance, etc.

Some foreigners are offered a significant 'tax break'. They pay taxes at far lower rates than do the Swedes ... but there's a sting in the tail!

If you pay taxes at the lower rate and you lose your job - you're screwed! - You don't have any benefit entitlements ... you may as well leave Sweden

Not that they are going to force you to leave, of course (they can't do that) - but with no income, no entitlement to benefits, how are you going to live?

Good for you!

Money doesn't buy happiness (though it can buy some pretty high-class misery. ;))

You asked which was the better place to live and I told you that there is no simple answer to that question.

I'm not a multi-millionaire.

If you were extremely poor (and if you were, you wouldn't be considering moving to either) then you would have to consider whether medicaid and welfare benefits in San Francisco were better than whatever you were going to get in Sweden.

As an immigrant, you'd probably get bugger-all in either place.

When you find your 'laid-back rich town' in which to raise a family, please let us know.

Done most of the California coast, New York and Florida, and so far I would say that San Francisco and New York are the only places I would be able to live in the US.

Having said that, our California trip did not go south of LA, and San Diego is where we plan to go next. From what I know about San Diego I suspect that Harleyman might be right, and we don't usually agree.

:)

My favourite place to live if I could afford it would be La Jolla just a few miles north of San Diego. Tijuana, Mexico is right next door almost to San Diego. I used to like to spend a day there in years past. It was a rinky dink wild old place but lots of fun and if you ignored the touristy junk stores you could buy a lot of quality mercahndise at bargain prices compared to the US

That all finished TJ for me when the Federales and the drug dealers started their wars a few years back.

Money is not a problem. I'm going to be a multi-millionaire. Searching for laidback rich town to live and raise a family.

I love San Francisco. God knows I do. It's my hometown but honestly, unless I had millions to spend, I'd go east bay. I pined for years to go back after my family moved away, but now? I don't think I could take the traffic, the crowds, the noise and the property taxes. My aunt recently sold her smallish house in the Sunset District. A block from the Great Highway. If I told you what they paid for it in 1960 something and what they got for it, you'd die.

There are some lovely places to raise a family. The Oakland Hills have better bay views than The City, less fog and more sunshine. Never mind the fire. Just keep the brush trimmed around your house and you'll be fine. ;)

Further east, the city of Danville, California. Buy/rent a house in Blackhawk. You'll never want to leave. I have a relative who lives here in one of the 'smaller' homes. When we visit and everyone goes to play golf, I walk along with them even though I don't play. It's that beautiful.

Hillsborough, California One word. Gorgeous.

Someone else mentioned Monterey and Carmel. Forget Monterey. Go for Carmel.

I personally like the hills around Santa Cruz. UC Santa Cruz is nearby. Home of the banana slugs. Watch out for mudslides. Real mudslides, not the drink.

I have a soft spot for Alameda because the husband is from here. It has a working class reputation but if you sail or windsurf. This is the place for you. Get a house on the Gold Coast facing San Francisco. Believe me, some days this is as close as you'll want to get.

Shoot. If money is no object, just rent and move around as you please. :)

Money is not a problem. I'm going to be a multi-millionaire. Searching for laidback rich town to live and raise a family.

Palm Springs, rich and laid back. If you've got a few million to play with you can get yourself a nice home with a prestigious address to go with it. How does Bob Hope Drive or Frank Sinatra Way sound? :hihi:

Palm Springs, rich and laid back. If you've got a few million to play with you can get yourself a nice home with a prestigious address to go with it. How does Bob Hope Drive or Frank Sinatra Way sound? :hihi:

You do SoCal Harley. You know it better than I do since you live down there.

OMG. Look at this! You can rent Frank Sinatra's house!

God I do not want to be responsible for cleaning that pool every day.:P

You do SoCal Harley. You know it better than I do since you live down there.

OMG. Look at this! You can rent Frank Sinatra's house!

God I do not want to be responsible for cleaning that pool every day.:P

When John Kennedy was President Frank had invited him to stay a few days at his Palm Springs home and Kennedy accepted the invitation.

Frank had construction workers come in and start to build a whole new annex to the house specially for the President.

As it turned out for one reason or another Kennedy had to cancel and Frank got very upset and told the workers to tear the whole thing down :hihi:

I read this somewhere

As for cleaning his pool I would have done it for nothing when he was around. There must have been some beautiful ladies taking a dip most days :hihi:

Archived