What is the best non-yellowing white gloss paint?

I painted some skirting boards and picture rails with Crown brilliant white gloss paint a few years ago, within a year or two they had significant yellowing, despite the claims on the tin which stated it was non-yellowing. What is the best paint brand to resist this yellowing?

I normally add two quarts of Lidi bleach.

I just wonder how long you expect it to remain pristine white! You say a few years ago. If it's regularly cleaned properly, it will last a few years, but not forever, despite what the tin says. How many people can honestly say they clean their skirting boards regularly? The odd wipe down maybe, but not a 'proper' clean.

I always use Dulux paint. But I also redecorate every 'few years'.

At least 3 years, the last lot yellowed within a year.

Brits take there paint very seriously , I actually brought a small tin of white gloss back with me to the US about 15 years ago to paint a small area around a window, it,s never yellowed but did start to peel year later, I think I put it on too thick though, didn't want to waste any. The paint in the US is not as good...so a professional painter once told me, egg shell paint is used the most here for interior walls, egg shell is just the texture, don't see much high gloss used at all in the US.

I hear bus paint is used a lot in the uk, makes sense , what could be more hard wearing than that. I just had my house and deck painted last year, I chose stain over paint, paint eventually peels ,stain will fade, I chose fading.

saw thing on telly about this. and yes it was due to additives being removed. (have to say some of the whitest gloss I've used was an ancient tin-fullof lead)

one bit of advice was to use the low odour ones-they have less oils in them and its th oil that causes the yellowing.

• 3 months later...

Archived